Monday, May 5, 2014

UPFRONTS 2014: What NBC Will Do

As Upfronts coverage continues, I will make my official predictions this week! Last week, I suggested what NBC should do. This week I am guessing what they will do. As my past years show, I am rarely correct but this is my best guess!

Past years: 2013   2012   2011

MONDAYS
8:00 The Voice
10:00 ALLEGIANCE
I think it's pretty obvious that The Blacklist will be on the move. The question then becomes which hot pilot will get the 10pm Monday slot. Right now my money is on Allegiance (formerly Coercion), a thriller that might attract a similar audience as The Blacklist.

TUESDAYS 
8:00 The Voice
9:00 A TO Z
9:30 About a Boy
10:00 Chicago Fire
This is what I suggested for Tuesday and also what I predict. I think it is easily the most cohesive Tuesday lineup possible because they can use The Voice to launch a new comedy and Chicago Fire can continue to be fine at 10pm. I think A to Z will be the choice here but Tina Fey's Tooken is also a possibility. One other option is two new comedies as they did this spring but I think they will give About a Boy another chance in this hour.

WEDNESDAYS
8:00 THE MYSTERIES OF LAURA
9:00 Law & Order: SVU
10:00 Chicago PD
I could see the 8pm hour going in several different directions. I could see it being reality, comedies, or a drama. I'm predicting a drama because it seems like NBC is high on its drama development and The Mysteries of Laura seems like more of an 8pm drama. I'm still assuming NBC and Dick Wolf will work things out and Law & Order: SVU will return. If that doesn't happen then I could see The Blacklist coming to Wednesdays. Assuming SVU comes back, I think Chicago PD will continue to be paired with it at 10pm and you can certainly expect more crossovers.

THURSDAYS 
8:00 TOOKEN
8:30 Parks and Recreation
9:00 The Blacklist
10:00 STATE OF AFFAIRS
There are rumors everywhere that The Blacklist is going to move and Thursday at 9pm seems like the most likely destination if SVU gets renewed. Despite so much evidence that they should, I don't think NBC will fully abandon comedies on Thursdays and they'll put the Tina Fey-produced Tooken with her buddy Amy Poehler's Parks and Recreation. The reason I have Tooken first is it will have less of the hit from football, which won't start until 8:30pm though it will have to deal with The Big Bang Theory starting in November. I think NBC will definitely use The Blacklist to launch a new show and my guess is State of Affairs starring Katherine Heigl.

FRIDAYS 
8:00 Dateline NBC
9:00 Grimm
10:00 CONSTANTINE
I think NBC will keep the genre night going on Fridays with Dateline NBC at 8pm. Grimm will of course stay at 9pm and that leaves Dracula, Hannibal, or a new show for 10pm. I think NBC will cancel Dracula and keep Hannibal for midseason again. I think they'll use the fall to launch comic book series Constantine. I could definitely see a revolving door of limited orders in the 10pm hour all season as they did this year with Dracula, Hannibal, and the upcoming Crossbones.

SATURDAYS 
8:00 Encores
As to be expected. SNL reruns at 10pm don't do too bad for NBC.

SUNDAYS  
7:00 Football Night in America
8:30 Sunday Night Football
I feel pretty good about this prediction :)

MIDSEASON: AQUARIUS, EMERALD CITY, EPIC FUNNIES, HEROES: REBORN, MARRY ME, MR. ROBINSON, THE PRO, THE SLAP The Biggest Loser, Celebrity Apprentice, Community, Hannibal, Hollywood Game Night, Parenthood, The Sing Off
I think NBC will have a lot on deck as usual. Partly to fill Sundays when football is over, partly because of limited orders, and partly because NBC always seems to save a show or two for the summer. I could see Heroes: Reborn getting a post-Super Bowl premiere. Mr. Robinson and The Pro could be candidates for a late spring premiere while I do think Community will cheat death one more time. I also think Parenthood will have a 13 episode final season order and it'll come on somewhere in midseason.

CANCELLED: American Dream Builders, Believe, Crisis, Dracula, Growing Up Fisher, Ironside, The Michael J. Fox Show, Revolution, Sean Saves the World, Welcome to the Family

Tomorrow: FOX!

No comments:

Post a Comment