Monday, May 6, 2013

UPFRONTS 2013: What NBC Will Do

Last week, I suggested what the networks should do (here is my NBC prediction). This week, I will make my official predictions. I fully expect to be wrong in many areas as I was in 2012 and 2011. But here we go anyway, a somewhat educated guess on how things will shake out for NBC. I think they will be conservative (more than they should) in the fall in anticipation of launching some of their big guns after the Olympics. See a list of NBC pilots here.

MONDAYS
8:00 The Voice
10:00 Revolution
I think NBC will go conservative on Mondays, not that they necessarily should. But since Monday is more stable than most nights, I think they will hold off on things. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them launch The Blacklist when The Voice returns in the spring after the Olympics.

TUESDAYS
8:00 The Voice
9:00 HATFIELDS AND MCCOYS
10:00 Parenthood
I think NBC will bag the Tuesday comedy idea after the disasters that were Go On and The New Normal this year. Instead, I think they will launch a drama after The Voice that flows nicely into Parenthood. Hatfields and McCoys seems like it might be a good choice.

WEDNESDAYS
8:00 UNTITLED SEAN HAYES
8:30 UNTITLED JOHN MULANEY/LORNE MICHAELS
9:00 CRISIS (formerly Untitled Rand Ravich)
10:00 Chicago Fire
NBC might be tempted to move Chicago Fire to 9pm but I don't think they will. Instead, I think they will try to open up a multi-cam hour at 8pm to compete with ABC's single-cam comedies. The Sean Hayes and John Mulaney projects seem likely though I suppose it could be one new show paired with Guys with Kids or Whitney. I think they'll try a new drama at 9pm and the Rand Ravich project has been getting good buzz. They should and I think will leave Chicago at 10pm.

THURSDAYS
8:00 Community
8:30 Parks and Recreation
9:00 UNTITLED MICHAEL J. FOX
9:30 ABOUT A BOY
10:00 Law & Order: SVU
I suggested that NBC start all over on Thursday nights but I'm not sure they would because their Thursday lineups always seem disappointing when the schedules come out. Therefore, I think they'll focus on the 9pm hour and leave the low-rated Community and Parks and Recreation in the 8pm hour for what could be the final season for both shows (hopefully not for Parks!). At 9pm, I think they'll launch two new comedies with the Michael J. Fox project as the centerpiece. Thursdays 10pm has been a big problem for NBC and the reliable but not spectacular Law & Order: SVU seems like a good solution. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see NBC go that route.

FRIDAYS
8:00 Betty White's Off Their Rockers
8:30 Guys with Kids
9:00 Grimm
10:00 Rock Center with Brian Williams
I could see NBC pulling another one of those comedy on Fridays bits they did this year but with a very late launch date so they can be stopgaps elsewhere. I think Guys with Kids might get a reprieve thanks to its Jimmy Fallon connection and the fact that there are some family-themed multi-cams in development. I think Grimm and Rock Center will stay put on Fridays.

SATURDAYS
8:00 Encores
10:00 Dateline NBC 
Encores are to be expected. I didn't have a place for Dateline NBC and I could see NBC holding it for when something fails but it also wouldn't surprise me to see them stick it on Saturdays until that happens. 

SUNDAYS
7:00 Football Night in America
8:30 Sunday Night Football
Of course. The only night I'm 100% sure about.

MIDSEASON: The Biggest Loser, Celebrity Apprentice, Hannibal, ASSISTANCE, BRENDA FOREVER, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY, THE BLACKLIST, CROSSBONES, DRACULA, IRONSIDE, UNTITLED CHICAGO FIRE SPINOFF
This looks like a lot of pickups but remember they already have Crossbones and Dracula ordered. I think The Biggest Loser will bridge the gap for The Voice or air on Sundays if NBC doesn't want to do anything on Mondays before the Olympics as I suggested. Celebrity Apprentice will likely return on Sundays. I could see Hannibal getting a short order for midseason or even summer 2014 despite low ratings. As for the new shows, the comedies can go to Wednesdays or Thursdays depending on what fails. The Blacklist would be a prime post-Olympics premiere contender. Crossbones and Dracula might be good Friday partners for Grimm. Not sure about Ironside, but I could see it picked up. The Chicago Fire spinoff might be another big post-Olympics midseason launch.

CANCELLED/ENDED: 30 Rock, 1600 Penn, Animal Practice, Deception, Do No Harm, Fashion Star, Go On, The New Normal, The Office, Ready for Love, Smash, Take it All, Up All Night, Whitney
There's a couple shows here I could see getting renewed - Go On and Whitney. But I think Go On will lose out to the closer to syndication Community and Whitney will lose out to Jimmy Fallon's Guys with Kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment