Thursday, May 8, 2014

UPFRONTS 2014: What CBS Will Do

My final schedule prediction is CBS. Last week, I gave my CBS suggestion. Now time for the prediction! Check back often this weekend and next week for pickups, renewals, cancellations, and commentary on the new fall schedule!

Past Years: 2013   2012   2011

MONDAYS
8:00 2 Broke Girls
8:30 HOW I MET YOUR DAD
9:00 (Sep) The Big Bang Theory/(Nov) Mike & Molly

9:30 Mom
10:00 NCIS: Los Angeles
We know that CBS is likely to air The Big Bang Theory on Mondays to give that night a boost while they wait for Thursdays to be free after football. Many think that means 8pm on Mondays but I think they'll go 9pm to give Mom a boost while possibly giving the night a halo effect. Despite my reservations, How I Met Your Dad seems headed to the schedule but I think CBS will not want to necessarily give it the old How I Met Your Mother timeslot. I could see them airing Big Bang at 8pm and 9pm the first week to give Dad a big launch. 2 Broke Girls has held up OK at 8pm this spring after Mother ended. When Big Bang goes back to Thursdays, I think they will premiere Mike & Molly late like they did this past year. It's time for an established drama to go to 10pm and it looks like it'll be NCIS: Los Angeles or Person of Interest. My bet is Los Angeles.

TUESDAYS 
8:00 NCIS
9:00 NCIS: NEW ORLEANS

10:00 Person of Interest
I think CBS will launch the new NCIS: New Orleans and it will air after the mothership. It makes the most sense if CBS is going to try to expand the NCIS world. I think they'll be hesitant to move Person of Interest two years in a row so that will stay at 10pm.

WEDNESDAYS 
8:00 Survivor
9:00 Criminal Minds
10:00 CSI: CYBER
Wow, I am being very conservative with my CBS picks but I think they will pick up CSI: Cyber as well and give it CSI's current timeslot, hoping that they can fend off Chicago PD.

THURSDAYS(Sep)
8:00 Thursday Night Football

(Nov)
8:00 The Big Bang Theory
8:30 THE ODD COUPLE
9:00 Two and a Half Men
9:30 The Millers
10:00 Elementary
We know football is going to be on Thursdays for the first two months. I think because of that, they'll be pretty safe when the regular lineup returns in November. I don't see them giving The Millers another chance at 8:30pm so I think they'll use the slot for Matthew Perry's The Odd Couple with The Millers sliding back an hour.

FRIDAYS
8:00 Undercover Boss
9:00 Hawaii Five-0
10:00 Blue Bloods
Fridays worked pretty well this year, I don't see CBS changing it as it took awhile to stabilize this night.

SATURDAYS
8:00 Encores
10:00 48 Hours

SUNDAYS
7:00 60 Minutes
8:00 The Amazing Race
9:00 The Good Wife
10:00 CSI
I wasn't sure about this night. I could see them moving The Good Wife to 10pm. I could also see them launching the new Madam Secretary here but they've been very hesitant to put a new show on Sundays because of football. Therefore, I think it's time for a new veteran drama to come to this night with The Mentalist most likely cancelled. I don't see any other option except CSI.

MIDSEASON: BATTLE CREEK, MADAM SECRETARY, THE MCCARTHYS, UNTITLED KEVIN WILLIAMSON
It's weird to not predict any holdover shows for midseason though I guess The Mentalist or Friends with Better Lives stand a chance. But I think CBS has a pretty stable lineup here and one night not even starting until November, so I don't think there's a ton of room for modest performers.

CANCELLED/ENDED: Bad Teacher, The Crazy Ones, Friends with Better Lives, Hostages, How I Met Your Mother, Intelligence, We Are Men

No comments:

Post a Comment