Thursday, May 9, 2013

UPFRONTS 2013: What CBS Will Do

We are on the final prediction day! Now pilot pickups, cancellations, and renewals are pouring in so check back often this weekend and then next week for analysis of the new schedules! CBS has already renewed most of their returning shows but are tight-lipped on their pilots as usual except for the all but assured Chuck Lorre comedy Mom. Check out what I said CBS should do as well as my predictions from 2012, 2011, and the list of CBS pilots.

MONDAYS
8:00 How I Met Your Mother
8:30 FRIENDS WITH BETTER LIVES
9:00 2 Broke Girls
9:30 Mike & Molly
10:00 BEVERLY HILLS COP
I think CBS will shore up its Monday lineup somewhat but I don't see them moving 2 Broke Girls out of the 9pm slot. Instead, I think they will give 8:30pm another shot with Friends with Better Lives, which sounds like a very good fit with Mother and possibly a successor. I really really think Beverly Hills Cop is going to Monday at 10pm because it's name brand and one of CBS's big guns. Hawaii Five-0 hasn't been cutting it there this season.

TUESDAYS
8:00 NCIS
9:00 HOSTAGES
10:00 Person of Interest
I could see Tuesdays going a lot of ways. I could see the NCIS twins staying with the spinoff joining but instead, I think they'll need a place for Person of Interest if they go to two hours of comedy on Thursday, which I'm predicting they will. I think CBS will finally use the 9pm slot to launch a new drama and I think they'll hold off for now on the NCIS spinoff and instead go for the promising Hostages. If it fails, they can always have the NCIS spinoff here at midseason.

WEDNESDAYS
8:00 Survivor
9:00 Criminal Minds
10:00 CSI
I don't see this night changing. If CBS makes some big moves including two hours of comedy on Thursdays, I think they'll leave this alone. That's assuming that Criminal Minds gets its contract situation worked out.

THURSDAYS
8:00 Two and a Half Men
8:30 UNTITLED GREG GARCIA
9:00 The Big Bang Theory
9:30 MOM
10:00 Elementary
This has been speculated for years and I think it might finally happen this year while The Big Bang Theory is still hot. I think this is the year they go to two hours with Men and Big Bang as the anchors and the promising new Greg Garcia comedy and Chuck Lorre's Mom as new shows. I think Elementary will stay at ten rather than Person of Interest sliding here.

FRIDAYS
8:00 The Mentalist
9:00 Hawaii Five-0
10:00 Blue Bloods
Fridays are tough to predict but I don't see them trying yet another new show here after so many have failed in recent years. I could see them sticking with Undercover Boss but I also think they might hold that again and instead air two established but fading dramas here in The Mentalist and Hawaii Five-0.

SATURDAYS
8:00 Encores
10:00 48 Hours
As to be expected unless they do something crazy.

SUNDAYS
7:00 60 Minutes
8:00 The Amazing Race
9:00 NCIS: Los Angeles
10:00 The Good Wife
I also think CBS will stay away from Sundays for new shows but they need to liven up the night. I could see them moving Hawaii Five-0 here but I'm predicting NCIS: Los Angeles based on what they're doing on Tuesdays. The Good Wife needs to move to 10pm and I think CBS will do that.

MIDSEASON: Undercover Boss, CRAZY ONES, INTELLIGENCE, NCIS: RED
CBS almost always premieres three dramas in the fall but with the prediction of more comedy, I don't think they will this year and instead hold two for midseason. I do think they'll pick up the Robin Williams comedy Crazy Ones but who knows where it'll go since it's single-cam. They certainly could pick up a partner for it.

CANCELLED: CSI: NY, Golden Boy, The Job, Made in Jersey, Partners, Rules of Engagement, Vegas

No comments:

Post a Comment