Monday, October 8, 2012

QUICK HITS: Monday, October 8

This is a new feature I'll be doing every couple weeks (basically whenever I have enough to say). I focus so much on pilots and ratings and don't always get to comment on shows' quality or lack thereof. So here we go, enjoy!!

-- New Shows I Have Given Up On Already: Animal Practice, The New Normal, The Mob Doctor, Partners, The Neighbors, 666 Park Avenue

-- New Shows that are Close to Joining That List: Revolution, The Mindy Project, Elementary

-- Second Year Shows I Still Watch: New Girl, Revenge, Person of Interest, Scandal

-- The Most Underrated New Show is... (don't laugh) Made in Jersey. It's not reinventing the wheel but is any CBS show? The actors are good, particularly Janet Montgomery and Kyle MacLachlan, and the cases are intriguing. I'm surprised it's bombing so bad on Fridays because it seems like a good fit with fellow family/law and order themed show Blue Bloods.

-- The Show that's off to the Best Second Season is... Scandal. I love Revenge and Person of Interest, but neither one is captivating me quite like Scandal. The show's intriguing but uneven short first season has given way to a spectacular start to season two. Someone give Kerry Washington an Emmy nomination!

-- A Show that Deserves a Second Look is... Guys with Kids. It's sort of the comedy version of Made in Jersey. There's nothing about it that feels new but that doesn't make it a bad show. If you like comfort sitcoms that feel like they're from the 90s, Guys with Kids might be the show for you.

-- A Show Experiencing a Renaissance is... The Office. Last year was terrible, so bad that I should have given up on the show. But I didn't because it has been a favorite of mine for so many years. This year, in its final season, Greg Daniels is back and the show feels like it has gone back to basics. The first three episodes have been far better than ANY episode last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment