Wednesday, October 10, 2012

PILOT REVIEW: Chicago Fire

CHICAGO FIRE












Starring: Jesse Spencer, Taylor Kinney, Monica Raymund, Lauren German, Charlie Barnett, David Eigenberg, Teri Reeves, and Eamonn Walker

Created by Michael Brandt and Derek Haas
Written by Michael Brandt and Derek Haas, Directed by Jeffrey Nachmanoff

Chicago Fire is a new ensemble drama from Dick Wolf that focuses on, you guessed it, a Chicago fire department. Created in the vein of large workplace ensemble dramas such as Hill Street Blues and ER, Chicago Fire takes the more unique setting of a fire station. The large ensemble plays lieutenants, firefighters, or paramedics working under Chief Wallace Boden (Eamonn Walker).

THE GOOD: There were some things to like about Chicago Fire - the fire scenes themselves were intense and interesting. It really makes you appreciate the work these people do and the danger they put themselves in every day. I thought the fire scenes were nicely done from a cinematic standpoint as well. It had the right look and feel for different types of fires - daytime, nighttime, big, small, traffic, etc. It made you realize that each fire is unique and different. While I wasn't thrilled with the cast, I do think they got better as it went along and the camaraderie shown in the final scene was a promising sign of things to come.

THE BAD: I've got a few issues here. First of all, though I loved the fire scenes - how are they going to keep up the intensity week after week? Yes, I said each fire is different but not to a TV audience. It just seems like the possible storylines are more limited than a cop drama or medical drama. This wouldn't be a problem if there was great character development but right now there's not. The worst parts of the pilot were the parts dealing with the character's personal lives. There were too many stereotypes within the station and they don't seem like real dimensional characters right now. Maybe that will change and it will need to because week after week of fire stories will, pardon the pun, burn the audience out quickly.

BOTTOM LINE: I have been all over the map with Chicago Fire. When it was first announced, I was real excited because I thought it sounded like a great setting and plot for a show. When I read reviews, I expected I might be disappointed. I landed somewhere in the middle after watching the pilot. Parts of it were better than I thought but other parts were horribly bland. Where the characters and writing go in future episodes will make or break this show.

No comments:

Post a Comment