Sunday, September 22, 2013

FALL PREVIEW 2013: In Summary

I hope you have enjoyed this year's Fall Preview. Check back often this week for pilot reviews, ratings recap, ratings predictions, and more! But before the fall season officially kicks off, here are my predictions for what will survive and what will not. Last year, I correctly predicted Nashville, Elementary, and The Mindy Project would survive but I didn't think The Neighbors, Chicago Fire, and Revolution would make it. I correctly predicted that Last Resort, 666 Park Avenue, Partners, Made in Jersey, Animal Practice, Guys With Kids, and The Mob Doctor would fail but I was too optimistic on Malibu Country, Vegas, Go On, The New Normal and Ben and Kate.

Past Summaries: 2012   2011

So here we go, I'm optimistic on the newbies this season. We'll see if I'm overly optimistic...

Shows I Think Will Make it to a Season 2
Back in the Game (ABC)
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC) 
Trophy Wife (ABC) 
Hostages (CBS)
The Crazy Ones (CBS)
The Millers (CBS)
Mom (CBS)
The Blacklist (NBC)
The Michael J. Fox Show (NBC)
Brooklyn Nine Nine (FOX)
Sleepy Hollow (FOX)
Notes: The ones I'm least sure of are Trophy Wife, Hostages, and The Crazy Ones. I'm betting on Trophy Wife getting a Wednesday shot eventually and Intelligence not doing as well on CBS Mondays at midseason.

Shows I Think Will Get Cancelled
Betrayal (ABC)
The Goldbergs (ABC)
Lucky 7 (ABC)
Once Upon a Time in Wonderland (ABC)
Super Fun Night (ABC)
We are Men (CBS)
Dracula (NBC)
Ironside (NBC)
Sean Saves the World (NBC)
Welcome to the Family (NBC)
Dads (FOX)
Junior Masterchef (FOX)
Notes: The ones I think have the best chance on this list are The Goldbergs, Ironside, and Sean Saves the World. I could see those survive thanks to their timeslots and/or unexpected success like Chicago Fire last year.

And finally the Top 5 shows I'm most excited for... last year, I didn't end up loving any of my Top 5 and I only stuck with Nashville. I didn't have my favorite fall shows from last year - Chicago Fire and Go On - which just goes to show it's hard to tell now but here we go - 4 of the 5 are comedies this time around!

Close Calls: Back in the Game (ABC) and Hostages (CBS)

5) The Crazy Ones (CBS) - I know Robin Williams can be annoying but I for one am excited to see what he brings to a weekly TV show with The Crazy Ones. I also like Sarah Michelle Geller and James Wolk and I think this has a unique setting and plot. I'm actually really looking forward to it.

4) The Michael J. Fox Show (NBC) - Who doesn't love Michael J. Fox? I think it's great that there are so many new family comedies this year and I have high hopes for this one. I have never known Fox to be bad in anything he's ever been in, so why should this be any different?

3) The Blacklist (NBC) - I think this looks like the most thrilling new show and slightly more exciting and promising than CBS' timeslot competitor Hostages. The Blacklist seems like it could be a whole lot of fun.

2) Trophy Wife (ABC) - I watched this pilot early online and absolutely adored it (more on my review for this show coming Tuesday). The cast is fantastic and I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

1) Brooklyn Nine Nine (FOX) - I loved this pilot when I saw it on Tuesday night. It seems like it could be the new Parks and Recreation with first rate writing, a stellar cast, and a standout performance from Andy Samberg. I can hardly wait until Tuesday to watch episode two.

2 comments:

  1. If any show will break out this season, I think it could be Back in the Game. It has a nice cushy timeslot and reviews have been solid. It is the dark horse of 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it seems like it fits perfectly with The Middle and it seems like the same audience will tune in. It's a great bridge between the two anchors

      Delete