Sunday, September 23, 2012

FALL PREVIEW 2012: In Summary

The season officially begins tomorrow but before it does, here are my official predictions for what will make it to season two. Of course it is a crapshoot as always. Last year, I correctly predicted that Suburgatory, 2 Broke Girls, Person of Interest, Up All Night, New Girl, and The X Factor would make it to a season two. Of course, I also thought Charlie's Angels, Pan Am, Prime Suspect, Terra Nova, and Allen Gregory would join them. I mistakenly guessed that Last Man Standing, Revenge, Once Upon a Time (!), Unforgettable, Whitney, and Grimm would be cancelled while I correctly predicted the cancellations of Man Up!, How to Be a Gentleman, A Gifted Man, The Playboy Club, and Free Agents. Here we go!

Shows I Think Will Make it to a Season 2
Nashville (ABC)
Malibu Country (ABC)
Vegas (CBS)
Elementary (CBS)
Go On (NBC)
The New Normal (NBC)
The Mindy Project (FOX)
Ben and Kate (FOX)
Notes: I don't think we'll see as many hits in the fall this year but I think these shows will be back. The riskiest picks to me are The New Normal and Ben and Kate. Normal hasn't been too promising yet but I think NBC is going to really try to make it work. Ben and Kate has to fly on its own a little bit but I think audiences will respond.

Shows I Think Will Get Cancelled
Last Resort (ABC)
The Neighbors (ABC)
666 Park Avenue (ABC)
Partners (CBS)
Made in Jersey (CBS)
Animal Practice (NBC)
Guys with Kids (NBC)
Chicago Fire (NBC)
Revolution (NBC)
The Mob Doctor (FOX)
Notes: Probably the boldest move here is Revolution after its mammoth premiere ratings. But I don't see the numbers staying anywhere close to there. I also see Partners not being able to be the next CBS Monday success


... and finally, the top 5 shows I'm excited for! Last year, I really ended up liking two of my picks but the others including my #1 show, Pan Am, ended up being disappointing. Of course, I didn't have New Girl and Revenge on my list which became two of my favorites

5) Ben and Kate - I didn't put Go On on the list but it would probably be #6 because I have enjoyed it so far. The Mindy Project is the more hyped FOX comedy but Ben and Kate looks more like my type of shows. The comedies seem lame this year so I hope this one is good!

4) Elementary - I'll admit it, I like procedurals and especially ones with a twist. A modern day Sherlock Holmes in New York City does just that. It's a CBS drama for sure, but that's not a bad thing by any means.

3) Last Resort - This is the biggest risk or reward series of the year. On the surface, it looks like it could be much better than the other event show Revolution. But it could also get convoluted quickly. Still, it's an exciting prospect.

2) Vegas - I wanted the period dramas to work last year but Pan Am was so boring and The Playboy Club didn't last very long (too bad for a show that was better than people gave it credit for in my opinion). I've loved the idea of this show since it was in the development stage and now Dennis Quaid is the star. I really hope this one works.

1) Nashville - There's a whole lot to love here and it all starts with Connie Britton. I would watch Mrs. Coach anywhere but the entire concept and story seems promising here. I hope Nashville and Connie Britton are everything I hope they will be.

At midseason, I am excited for Zero Hour, Hannibal, and The Following. The midseason shows don't look as promising this year to me (just like the fall shows!) but we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment