Sunday, September 21, 2014

FALL PREVIEW 2014: In Summary

Hope you enjoyed the week of night by night previews. Here are my official predictions for the new shows. Last year, I was overly optimistic on the newbies. I correctly predicted survival for Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., The Millers, Mom, The Blacklist, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and Sleepy Hollow while I missed with Back in the Game, Trophy Wife, Hostages, The Crazy Ones, and The Michael J. Fox Show. I incorrectly predicted cancellation for The Goldbergs and Masterchef Junior but I correctly predicted the cancellation of Betrayal, Lucky 7, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland, Super Fun Night, We Are Men, Dracula, Ironside, Sean Saves the World, Welcome to the Family, and Dads.

This year, I am not very optimistic on the newbies. I think a couple new shows could be breakout hits but I also see a couple of potential "instant bombs" (I'm looking at you, ABC Tuesday comedies and NBC Thursday comedies). It seems to me like the networks are more concerned with protecting their sophomores with potential (The Blacklist and Chicago PD on NBC, Mom on CBS, Brooklyn Nine-Nine and Sleepy Hollow on FOX, and Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and The Goldbergs on ABC). I see most of those shows continuing to be strong and that means less room for newbie shows. It's evident by timeslots that the networks have a lot of other priorities.

Check back all this week and in the weeks to come for detailed ratings recaps and rundowns and pilot reviews of all the new shows!

Past Fall Preview Summaries: 2013    2012    2011

Shows I Think Will Make it to Season 2
Black-ish (ABC)
How to Get Away with Murder (ABC)
NCIS: New Orleans (CBS)
Stalker (CBS)
Marry Me (NBC)
Gotham (FOX)
Notes: The two I'm least certain of from this list are Marry Me and Stalker. I think Black-ish, How to Get Away with Murder, and Gotham have a chance for big success and NCIS: New Orleans should be a safe and solid option.

Shows I Think Will Get Cancelled
Cristela (ABC)
Forever (ABC)
Manhattan Love Story (ABC)
Selfie (ABC)
Madam Secretary (CBS)
The McCarthys (CBS)
Scorpion (CBS)
A to Z (NBC)
Bad Judge (NBC)
Constantine (NBC)
The Mysteries of Laura (NBC)
State of Affairs (NBC)
Gracepoint (FOX)
Mulaney (FOX)
Red Band Society (FOX)
Utopia (FOX)
Notes: The ones I think that stand the best chance from this list are Cristela, Madam Secretary, and State of Affairs. But I'm pretty skeptical about any of these to be honest.

Finally the top five shows I'm most excited for. Last year, I really only ended up liking two of my top five (The Blacklist and Brooklyn Nine-Nine) while one of my favorites (The Goldbergs) was not on my initial list.

Close Calls: None really. I could see Stalker being a guilty pleasure and I could see myself getting into Gracepoint but I wouldn't really say I'm excited for them.

5) Madam Secretary (CBS) - I love The West Wing and I've always wanted to get into The Good Wife (it premiered a year before I started this blog so I never watched season one and then never caught up). So I'm hopeful this show will be on that level but the early reviews give me pause even though I don't always agree with critics. I think the cast is great and it's full of potential.

4) Black-ish (ABC) - There were a ton of family comedies last year that I was excited about but I really only ended up liking The Goldbergs. This year there are very few, which is sad, but one that looks exceptional is Black-ish. I think it'll be a great addition to the ABC Wednesday lineup.

3) How to Get Away with Murder (ABC) - I just love the craziness of Scandal and this sounds like it's already a whole lot more crazy than Scandal was when it started. I'm excited to see Viola Davis and I like the setting at a university. I hope the thrills keep coming all season.

2) Red Band Society (FOX) - This is the only one of the five that I've already seen the pilot for and I adored it. I think the cast is exceptional and the setting is unique. The ratings weren't encouraging but I hope this becomes the little show that could. I'd be real disappointed if we only got a few episodes of this potentially amazing drama.

1) Gotham (FOX) - Believe me, I am surprised by this. I'm not a comics fan at all but I've always had a soft spot for Batman and the origins story is already fascinating to me. Plus the noir look of the show and the idea that there will be a weekly story plus the rise of a Batman villain each season seems like a great idea.

At midseason I am excited for American Crime (ABC), Fresh Off the Boat (ABC), Mr. Robinson (NBC), Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (NBC), and maybe The Odd Couple (CBS).

No comments:

Post a Comment