Friday, October 26, 2018

PILOT REVIEW: Legacies

LEGACIES













Starring: Danielle Rose Russell, Aria Shahghasemi, Kaylee Bryant, Jenny Boyd, Quincy Fouse, Peyton Alex Smith, and Matt Davis

Created by Julie Plec
Written by Julie Plec, Directed by Chris Grismer

IN SHORT: In case you are stuck in the year 2009, here's another supernatural show.

THE PREMISE:
Legacies is set in the universe of the hit and recently ended CW shows The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. Legacies is centered on Hope Mikaelson (Danielle Rose Russell), a descendant of the a very powerful supernatural bloodline. At 17 years old and a couple years after The Originals, Hope attends the Salvatore School for the Young and Gifted. We also meet werewolf Rafael (Peyton Alex Smith) and his brother, Landon (Aria Shahghasemi) as well as history teacher (and Vampire Diaries regular) Alaric Saltzman (Matt Davis).

THE REVIEW:
I'm going to make this short. I usually try to do extensive reviews even for shows I hate and even if I'm predestined to hate it (like a sci-fi show). But I don't think I should be giving this one a full review. I have never seen an episode of The Vampire Diaries or The Originals so I don't think I can really understand this world. I guess a devil's advocate would say a good show would interest me even if I don't know the universe. But I don't think my review would be fair. I like the idea of the Hogwarts-ish boarding school, but none of the supernatural or teen drama elements excite me in the least.

BOTTOM LINE:
I don't think this is the worst new show, but it's certainly the most unnecessary one. I think the age of vampires and supernatural elements is not happening right now and it feels like this is a show that should have premiered in 2010. Not that I would have watched it then ether.

No comments:

Post a Comment