Monday, October 1, 2018

PILOT REVIEW: Happy Together

HAPPY TOGETHER













Starring: Damon Wayans Jr., Amber Stevens West, Stephnie Weir, Victor Williams, with Chris Parnell, and Felix Mallard

Created by Tim McAuliffe and Austen Earl
Written by Tim McAuliffe & Austen Earl, Directed by Phill Lewis

IN SHORT: Does Damon Wayans Jr. Really Deserve Better Than This?

THE PREMISE:
Based on a real life experience, Happy Together is centered on a mundane couple, Jake the accountant and his wife, Claire (Damon Wayans Jr. and Amber Stevens West). Their world is rocked one Saturday night when pop star and client of Jake's, Cooper James (Felix Mallard), is forced to stay with them to avoid a paparazzi scandal. Rounding out the main cast are Claire's parents (Stephnie Weir & Victor Williams) and Cooper James' manager, Wayne (Chris Parnell).

THE REVIEW:
I'm gonna blow past all the unbelievable elements of this pilot. I know it's based on a true story but there's some major plausibility questions (least of which: I know we live in a time shifting era but why are they watching James Corden on a Saturday night with seemingly "breaking" news to them when the news would be at least a day old). But whatever, that's not my main concern with this pilot, the second lame one I watched on CBS tonight.

My main issue has to do with Damon Wayans Jr. This summer, I would read things like "Damon Wayans Jr. deserves better than this sitcom" and I got to thinking, really? Because he is the worst part of this sitcom, just as he was in his short time on New Girl. I've only watched an episode or two of Happy Endings, but I can't imagine I'd like him more in that show. I think he overacts everything and that is very evident in this pilot, where nothing he does comes across as real or funny.

Aside from Wayans, there were some decent cast members. I liked Amber Stevens West more even though she was also forced to do the horribly unfunny answering machine joke that recurred through the episode. The best part might have been Felix Mallard, who definitely showed signs of comedic chops and was a funny character. The parent characters were pretty obnoxious and comedy veteran Chris Parnell was given next to nothing to do in the pilot. I am mildly curious what the dynamics of this show will look like in a year (if it makes it that long) because it seems to have a premise that can't last forever.

BOTTOM LINE:
I think this was pretty comparable to The Neighborhood. I saw a review that combined the reviews because they were so similar and I understand that. Both are dealing with lame writing and overacting but with nuggets of a potential show if it could figure it out. In a very difficult timeslot, I'm not sure they will be given the chance to.

No comments:

Post a Comment