Sunday, September 22, 2019

FALL PREVIEW 2019: In Summary

Here is my summary of the Fall Preview! Check back all week for pilot reviews of the many shows premiering this week!

First up, my predictions. Last year, I correctly predicted The Conners, The Rookie, Single Parents, A Million Little Things, The Neighborhood, Magnum P.I., F.B.I., Manifest, All American and Charmed would survive. I wrongly believed that The Kids are Alright and Murphy Brown would join the list. I correctly predicted cancellations for Dancing with the Stars Junior, The Alec Baldwin Show, Happy Together, I Feel Bad, The Cool Kids, and Rel but wrongly thought God Friended Me, New Amsterdam, and Legacies would get the boot. A pretty good year of guessing overall! Here's this year's predictions.

Shows I Think Will Make it to Season 2
Mixed-ish (ABC)
Stumptown (ABC)
Kids Say the Darndest Things (ABC)
Bob Hearts Abishola (CBS)
The Unicorn (CBS)
Carol's Second Act (CBS)
Evil (CBS)
Perfect Harmony (NBC)
Almost Family (FOX)
Bless the Harts (FOX)
Batwoman (CW)

Shows I Think Will Be One and Done
Emergence (ABC)
All Rise (CBS)
Bluff City Law (NBC)
Sunnyside (NBC)
Prodigal Son (FOX)
Nancy Drew (CW)

Finally, the Top 5 Broadcast Fall Shows I'm excited about:

Close Calls: Almost Family (FOX), Perfect Harmony (NBC), All Rise (CBS)

5) Batwoman (CW) - I am not a superhero show fan but the Batman Universe has always been the exception to the rule (I even watched a season and a half of Gotham). So I am optimistic that this show will intrigue me, at least at first.

4) Prodigal Son (FOX) - I think this looks like an interesting and creepy thriller. I tend to be a fan of serial killer shows, I don't know why, so this one has my attention.

3) Mixed-ish (ABC) - I wasn't too sure about the idea of another Black-ish spinoff but this one seems like it has a lot of heart and has the Goldbergs/Wonder Years vibe that has always appealed to me.

2) The Unicorn (CBS) - I had no interest in this at first, but the general consensus among critics is that this is the best new fall sitcom. As someone who finds himself agreeing more and more with critics, this one has climbed up my list of anticipated new shows.

1) Evil (CBS) - Everything I'm reading about this show talks about how creepy it is, which is interesting to me. Add in the fact that it's from The Good Wife creators and I have been (finally) watching that great show all summer and I'm very hopeful about this one.

At midseason, I'm excited about The Baker and the Beauty (ABC), Council of Dads (NBC), Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist (NBC), and 9-1-1: Lone Star (FOX)

On streaming, I'm excited about The Politician (Netflix), Modern Love (Amazon), The Morning Show (Apple TV Plus), Unbelievable (Netflix), and Looking for Alaska (Hulu)

No comments:

Post a Comment