Thursday, May 3, 2018

UPFRONTS 2018: What CBS Should Do

Here's my CBS suggestion!

CBS had another ho-hum year aside from Thursday nights and the huge performance of freshman comedy Young Sheldon. TV's top new comedy has delivered all season long. As far as dramas go, it seems like all CBS can do is launch modest shows like SEAL Team or S.W.A.T. mixed in with some bombs. It's been a long time since CBS has launched a really successful drama.

Past CBS suggestions: 2017   2016   2015   2014   2013   2012   2011

For a list of CBS pilots, click here

MONDAYS
8:00 Kevin Can Wait
8:30 Man with a Plan
9:00 MURPHY BROWN
9:30 PANDAS IN NEW YORK
10:00 MAGNUM P.I.
CBS Mondays have been a disaster this year and it's time for a change. I would leave the 8pm hour alone, but I would completely revamp 9-11pm with  new shows. I'm skeptical of the Murphy Brown revival working but it seems worth a shot to give it its old Monday 9pm slot to give it a chance and lead into a promising newbie. At 10pm, I would try the reboot of Magnum P.I.

TUESDAYS
8:00 NCIS
9:00 Bull
10:00 NCIS: New Orleans
I would leave Tuesdays alone. It's working pretty well and with Roseanne on ABC and This is Us on NBC, it doesn't seem like the best place to launch a new show.

WEDNESDAYS
8:00 Survivor
9:00 MURDER
10:00 Criminal Minds
I don't think CBS should keep SEAL Team on Wednesday nights, but I do think the 9pm slot is a good place to launch a new drama. I would try Murder at 9pm and keep the rest of the night the same. I would announce next season as a final season for Criminal Minds with hopes the long running drama could get a small final season boost.

THURSDAYS
8:00 The Big Bang Theory
8:30 Young Sheldon
9:00 Mom
9:30 FAM
10:00 S.W.A.T.
Thursdays were the best thing that happened to CBS this season. With The Big Bang Theory possibly entering its final season, I would Young Sheldon as its lead out with hopes that Sheldon can become the anchor in 2019-20. I would leave the rest of the night the same except I would put Life in Pieces on the bench and try the new Fam at 9:30pm.

FRIDAYS
8:00 MacGyver
9:00 Hawaii Five-0
10:00 Blue Bloods
Friday is another solid night. With all three shows renewed, I would leave the night alone for a third straight year.

SATURDAYS
8:00 Encores
10:00 48 Hours

SUNDAYS
7:00 60 Minutes
8:00 F.B.I.
9:00 NCIS: Los Angeles
10:00 SEAL Team
While Wisdom of the Crowd and Instinct haven't worked, I do think the Sunday 8pm slot is a good place to launch a newbie, especially in the fall. I would try the new Dick Wolf drama F.B.I., which seems like it could be a good fit for the post football/60 Minutes audience. I would leave NCIS: Los Angeles at 9pm and try SEAL Team at 10pm with Madam Secretary on the bench.

MIDSEASON: I MOM SO HARD, LA CONFIDENTIAL, MAIN JUSTICE, RED LINE, WELCOME TO THE NEIGHBORHOOD, The Amazing Race, Life in Pieces, Madam Secretary, Superior Donuts
Like ABC, CBS has more of a traditional lineup and less short-order shows so these shows can fill in for shows that don't work or have late spring premieres. The Amazing Race should be a good filler for Survivor again.

CANCELLED/ENDED: 9JKL, Instinct, Living Biblically, Me Myself & I, Ransom, Scorpion, Wisdom of the Crowd

No comments:

Post a Comment