Wednesday, April 29, 2015

UPFRONTS 2015: What ABC Should Do

Today is ABC's turn!

Past ABC Suggestions: 2014   2013   2012   2011

For the list of ABC pilots, click here

MONDAYS
8:00 Dancing with the Stars
10:00 LA CRIME
Dancing with the Stars is still a formidable show even after being on the air for a decade and Castle has been dropping the ball at 10pm this season. It's not the beast it once was but I still think Dancing can launch a new show. I've said this multiple times, especially when they had a compatible option in the pilot pack like Nashville a couple years ago. I don't think there's an obvious newbie that would fit so I went with what I think is their most promising, the anthology LA Crime. It should be a given a good slot and since TGIT is likely staying in tact, this is probably the best place to launch a drama.

TUESDAYS
8:00 The Middle
8:30 DR. KEN
9:00 Black-ish
9:30 UNCLE BUCK
10:00 Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Unlike other networks, ABC is really doing well with their sitcoms so I think the time is now to launch another sitcom block. I went a couple different directions on which shows to move over from Wednesday but settled on The Middle and Black-ish. The Middle is probably the most likely and most able to move because I think it could do just as well Tues at 8pm as it does Weds at 8pm. As for Black-ish, I'd like to see it get another year behind Modern Family but I think it could get killed against Empire again. With another black family sitcom, the Uncle Buck adaptation, I think the 9pm slot on Tuesday might be a better option. Dr. Ken has a great cast and could be a good 8:30pm option. I would slide Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. another hour later because it didn't really do that well at 9pm and the 10pm hour is still a problem.

WEDNESDAYS
8:00 The Goldbergs
8:30 Fresh Off the Boat
9:00 Modern Family
9:30 UNTITLED JUDAH MILLER PROJECT
10:00 Nashville
It's tempting to not change anything on Wednesday with the sitcom block because everything went so well this year. But ABC can't rely on The Middle and Modern Family as anchors forever. I think the time is right for The Goldbergs to move to 8pm after a hugely successful move to Wednesdays this year. I think it can do it. I would pair the 80s-themed Goldbergs with the 90s-themed Fresh Off the Boat. It could have a similarly successful move to Wednesdays like Goldbergs did this year. I think they'd be a good pair with each other. Modern Family should stay at 9pm and I think a new show could go at 9:30pm. Though it hasn't gotten a ton of buzz, the Judah Miller project about Broadway parents with a gifted athlete for a son sounds like an interesting twist on the culture clash premise and it could be a good match with Modern Family. I don't love the idea of keeping Nashville at 10pm but I think one more year wouldn't be bad with the changes on other nights and an unproven lead-in. If Black-ish stayed at 9:30pm, then they should consider a new drama at 10pm.

THURSDAYS
8:00 Grey's Anatomy
9:00 Scandal
10:00 How to Get Away with Murder
There is no reason to change TGIT in the fall. It was doing awesome numbers and things only went south when Murder ended its season and the incompatible American Crime joined the night. Since Murder is always going to be 15 episodes a year, they need to worry more about finding a spring replacement that can keep the TGIT brand. Something like Shondaland's The Catch might be an option.

FRIDAYS
8:00 Last Man Standing
8:30 DELORES & JERMAINE
9:00 Shark Tank
10:00 20/20
I would really like to see Cristela get another chance, but I think ABC needs to try a new sitcom here at 8:30pm in the fall. A good option might be the Whoopi Goldberg vehicle Delores & Jermaine. Tim Allen and Whoopi could make a good hour of comedy. I'd keep the rest of the night the same.

SATURDAYS
8:00 Sports

SUNDAYS
7:00 America's Funniest Home Videos
8:00 Once Upon a Time
9:00 THE KINGMAKERS
10:00 Castle
Sundays need a revamp from 9-11pm. Secrets and Lies hasn't done horrible but I wouldn't bring it back until midseason. In the fall, I would launch the promising new drama The Kingmakers at 9pm after Once Upon a Time. It seems like it could fill the void left by Revenge. I would bring over Castle from Mondays to close out the night. The show is clearly nearing the end of its run and would be better off in a lower pressure timeslot.

MIDSEASON: BOOM, THE CATCH, THE KING OF 7B, QUANTICO, UNTITLED MUPPETS PROJECT, UNTITLED NBA PROEJCT, Cristela, The Great Christmas Light Fight, Secrets and Lies
I already talked about The Catch and Secrets and Lies. Boom has a great premise and should get a chance. The King of 7B sounds a little niche but too interesting to pass up. The NBA project could premiere when basketball is more in the minds of viewers in winter/spring. Quantico and the Muppets project also sound interesting while Cristela can be a back-up choice as it didn't do horrible on Fridays this year.

CANCELLED: American Crime, Forever, Galavant, In an Instant, Marvel's Agent Carter, Repeat After Me, Resurrection, Revenge, The Taste

No comments:

Post a Comment