Tuesday, January 3, 2023

TOP 10 TUESDAY: Top 10 Most Anticipated Returning Shows of 2023

Happy New Year! I'm kicking off 2023 with a look at my Top 10 Most Anticipated Returning Shows of 2023. For this list, I am sticking with shows that have not yet aired in this Emmy cycle and also looking at shows that are definitely or very likely to return in 2023 whereas some others like Euphoria are more unknown. So here we go! Check out my list from last year!

10. 
AMERICAN AUTO (January 24, NBC)
The 2021-22 TV season saw a slew of strong new broadcast comedies. Abbott Elementary got most of the attention and whatever attention Abbott didn't get went to Ghosts. Those two shows are very deserving but there was another show that flew under the radar with a quietly strong first season. American Auto is a spiritual successor to Superstore. It was perhaps less fully formed than the two other comedies mentioned but it really found its groove as the first season went on. I'm really glad NBC renewed the show and I expect it will really hit its stride in Season Two.

9. THE OTHER TWO (TBD, HBO Max)
So far, The Other Two has thankfully been spared from HBO Max's purge of content that has included cancelling some already renewed series. I love this little show that could, a cast-off from Comedy Central. I feel like it's a show that a very small number of people love but most people have never heard of. With jokes coming at you left and right and nonstop, it also showed a surprising amount of heart in the second season. It's probably too much to hope for the third season breaking out, I'll just hope it actually makes it to the air.

8. YELLOWJACKETS (March 26, Showtime)
This buzzy drama has elements that I typically wouldn't like in shows. I'm not usually a fan of "survival" shows and there's also some gross elements that are a little hard to get through. But Yellowjackets was a must watch for me because of fascinating characters and some really strong storytelling and mysteries woven into the first season. I do have fears that this is a show that won't be able to sustain itself for a long run after a strong first season but it's already defied my expectations so I am hopeful!

7. BARRY (TBD, HBO)
Barry continued its journey from dark comedy to edge-of-your-seat thriller in its third season and the fourth season (which is rumored to be the show's last) is set up to continue that trajectory. There have been times were Barry seems to have twisted itself into a pretzel with a plot and always managed to escape but I'm really curious to see where this story goes with the way the third season ended. It definitely feels like an endgame is coming and I think that would be the best for a show that always teeters on the end of being too insane to be good storytelling. But it hasn't fallen off yet.

6. HACKS (TBD, HBO Max)
Hacks sort of has a throwback feel for a streaming show. While the stories are not very episodic and the style follows a streaming approach, it has the reliability of a weekly performance from great stars. No matter what situation Jean Smart and Hannah Einbinder find themselves in, I trust the stories will be strong because of good writing and good performances. Whether in Vegas or on the road, the show succeeds and I trust it wherever it is going. Rounding out a stronger supporting cast in Season Two only added to the strength of one of TV's strongest comedies.

5. SEVERANCE (TBD, Apple TV+)
I take some pride in being an early adopter of Severance as the buzz seems to have grown as more and more people discover the show. The show spent much of its first season world building only to take us on a roller coast ride in the second half of the season and especially in the finale. I'm excited to see what the show will do when it doesn't have to spend as much time laying the groundwork. I hope it hits the ground running in Season Two and never looks back.

4. SUCCESSION (TBD, HBO)
Succession meandered a bit in its third season but had a really strong end to the season and that left me very excited for its fourth season. While there has been some chatter about the series winding down, I'd be really surprised if the fourth season ends up being the last. The fourth season ended with each character (perhaps with the exception of Jeremy Strong's Kendall) in one of their most interesting stories and character arcs. So I'm hoping and expecting the fourth season will start off with a bang.

3. TED LASSO (TBD, Apple TV+)
It's been awhile since we've seen Ted Lasso as it was last seen back in Summer 2021. I am eagerly awaiting the third season, which could possibly be the final one. It morphed from a comedy to a dramedy for its second season but I thought it did that very effectively and I thought some of the backlash to Season Two was very, very silly discourse. It became popular and then all of the sudden people had outsized expectations. If they do another great Christmas episode, I'll be thrilled too!

2. THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL (TBD, Amazon)
An all time favorite for me, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel came in at #1 on this list last year for me. Many people seemed a little let down by the fourth season and I will admit it wasn't quite as strong as the first three but I still think it's one of TV's best shows and I thought the finale really set things up well for the upcoming final season. With impeccable production quality and some great stories to still resolve I think this will be a great final season. I'm excited to see how it ends and I'm excited to re-watch the whole series in a few years!

1. SCHMICAGO (TBD, Apple TV+)
The sequel to Schmigadoon comes in at #1 on this list for two reasons. First of all, I absolutely loved Schmigadoon. When it aired in the Summer of 2021, it was such a breath of fresh air at a time when live theater, including Broadway, was still mostly shut down. Secondly, I am so excited to see what this new season brings because I know so little about it. I know much of the cast is back and they will now be spoofing 70s and 80s era musicals but I have no knowledge of the premise or how it will all tie together with the first season. I hope this show lasts long enough to be able to spoof more musical eras but for now, I'm really excited to see what we get with Schmicago

Tomorrow: A One Season Wonder look at Matt Waters!
Next Tuesday: My Top 10 Most Anticipated New Shows of 2023!

No comments:

Post a Comment