Tuesday, January 4, 2022

TOP 10 TUESDAY: My Top 10 Most Anticipated Returning Shows of 2022

I'll be taking a break from the character lists for the next two weeks and looking ahead to 2022. This is my list of my Most Anticipated Returning Shows for 2022. For this list, I did not include shows that have already aired in this Emmy cycle such as Ted Lasso. I know Season 3 will likely come in 2022 but I feel like we're still "in" Season 2 since that will be the season looked at for both my personal awards and the Emmys.

10. BRIDGERTON (March 25, Netflix)
The second season of Bridgerton is famously not going to include Rege-Jean Page as his breakout role as the Duke of Hastings was a one year contract. The second season, like the second book the series is based on, will focus on Jonathan Bailey's Anthony and his quest for a wife. With a lot of new cast members, I'm curious to see where the series goes. My only concern is it was such a breakout show that surprised everyone and I worry that the second season will be too aware of its success and lean too hard into things that were done more organically in Season 1. We'll see in March!

9. OZARK (January 21, Netflix)
It's been awhile since we've seen Ozark, which saw its third season drop right as everything had shut down in March 2020 so it seemed like everyone was watching. Now it returns almost two years later for the first half of its fourth and final season (the second half will air in 2023). It ended on a high note with a drama-filled season that corrected some of the glacial pacing of Season 2. It also ended on a cliffhanger. I'm just going to have to get myself back in the mood for Ozark but I hope it can pick up where it left off.

8. THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT (TBD, HBO Max)
The Flight Attendant was a buzzy critical darling when it premiered in late 2020 and even though it still got Emmy nominations, it seemed to get overshadowed by later entries, especially fellow HBO Max comedy Hacks. I loved the first season of The Flight Attendant but it also felt a little bit like a limited series so I'm somewhat apprehensive about Season 2 having a "here we go again" vibe to it. I still trust Kaley Cuoco though after her excellent performance in Season 1 (that earned her my award for Best Actress in a Comedy Series) so I am hopeful it'll be able to avoid the traps shows like this can fall into for their second seasons.

7. EUPHORIA (January 9, HBO)
Euphoria hasn't aired a regular season since the Summer of 2019 but it did have two one-off specials including one that topped my list for Best Episodes of 2020. I am not the main demographic for this show but I was captivated by its moody and unsettling tone. Zendaya was a surprise Emmy winner for her role in this show and she is an it girl right now after her performance in Spider-Man: No Way Home so there's definitely some buzz for this show's return. But it's just been so long and there have been a zillion imitators since. Can it still stand out in the crowd?

6. BARRY (TBD, HBO)
If you thought it was a long time for Euphoria, it's been even longer for Barry. The last new episode of the Bill Hader dark comedy aired all the way back in May 2019 and there's still not even a premiere date for this year so it'll probably be almost three years by the time it airs if not even more than three years. It hasn't been that long for me because I only caught up with the show recently. But I'm curious to see where it goes in Season Three and what twists the story will take. I do see what the awards hype was all about, I just missed it the first two times around!

5. THE CROWN (TBD, Netflix)
The Crown is expected to be back with its fifth season in November with yet another cast change. Imelda Staunton will take over as Queen Elizabeth with Jonathan Pryce playing Prince Phillip, Dominic West as Prince Charles and Elizabeth Debicki as Princess Diana. After the brilliant season four with great turns by Gillian Anderson, Emma Corrin and Olivia Colman, there are big shoes to fill. The cast changes have worked extremely well to this point so there's no reason to doubt another big overhaul. This season will take the Charles and Diana divorce and Diana's death so there's lots of drama to explore and I trust that it's up to the task.

4. FOR ALL MANKIND (TBD, Apple TV+)
It was one small step for For All Mankind Season 1 and one giant leap for For All Mankind Season 2. Given the improvement of this show from the first to the second season, I am very excited for the third season where the alternate history heads to the 1990s and to Mars. Although there's no official word on a release for this show, I know they finished filming recently so I imagine the third season will be released in 2022 and I will be anxiously awaiting it as it has gone from a show I felt very "meh" about to one that I will be holding my breath for.

3. HACKS (TBD, HBO Max)
Some of the shows on this list I am excited for but also apprehensive about because I don't know if they can keep the momentum going that got them on the list to begin with. I have less concern about that with Hacks because I think the show already knows the dynamic that works for it and doing more of the same will be just fine with this show. This show's strength lies with Jean Smart and Hannah Einbinder and works equally well whether they are sparring or teaming up together. So no matter where the second season goes, I think it's going to be another great one.

2. THIS IS US (January 4, NBC)
The sixth and final season of NBC's drama begins tonight and though I have felt very torn on the show for a couple years now, I am excited to see what it can do with an end date in mind while hopefully being well past the clumsy attempts to incorporate COVID into the story. I am particularly interested in the story for Rebecca (Mandy Moore) as we will surely see that character's death at some point this season. I am less interested in what happens with Toby and Kate, but I know that will also be a focal point this season so I hope they do it well. I just want this show to stick the landing. They're capable of it, let's see if it happens.

1. THE MARVELOUS MRS. MAISEL (February 18, Amazon)
I know there are some Maisel haters out there. I am not one of them, not even close. The third season, seen way back in December 2019, was nominated for 15 Benjamonster Awards by me and the winner of five including Outstanding Comedy Series. Even when others have thought the show got off track, I never felt that way. I think it has made so many great choices and has been consistently high quality in every way. My only fear for the fourth season is that filming in the COVID era might mean it can't be as grand as it usually is. I hope they didn't have to scale things down at all for the show. But I will be anxiously awaiting February 18, it's been too long!

Tomorrow: A One Season Wonder look at Julie!
Next Tuesday: My Top 10 Most Anticipated New Shows of 2022!

No comments:

Post a Comment