Friday, October 11, 2019

PILOT REVIEW: Nancy Drew

NANCY DREW











Starring: Kennedy McMann, Leah Lewis, Maddison Jaizani, Tunji Kasim, Alex Saxon, Alvina August, with Riley Smith and Scott Wolf

Developed by Noga Landau, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage
Teleplay by Noga Landau, Josh Schwartz & Stephanie Savage, Story by Noga Landau
Directed by Larry Teng

I've only been watching CW shows for this blog for a few years (this is my fourth season reviewing them) and it's amazing how much the "C" shows (from CBS Studios) have a very distinct brand to them. If Nancy Drew was on any other network, it would have a different feel. But on this network, it's so very similar in feel to so many others.

The most obvious connection is Riverdale (it's a shame the CW didn't have this show during Riverdale's one half season two years ago where it really seemed to have some heat). We had a small town setting, gorgeous actors, an Ariana Grande song playing in the background. What else do you need to check all the CW boxes? If I was in a different place in my life, I might have found this one enjoyable. But I'm fully aware that I am nowhere near the target audience for this show and that's okay.

Kennedy McMann is solid in the title role. She has a natural charisma and good dynamics with the rest of the cast. My age means I'm somewhere between thinking it's weird that Scott Wolf is playing the father of a 20-something year old and being OK with it. The friends were a little more forgettable with Maddison Jaizani seemingly playing the Camila Mendes (from Riverdale) role as the mysterious outsider.

This is probably my shortest review of the fall because I just wasn't into it at all. It's like a sci-fi show for me, it's just not my cup of tea so I have trouble keeping interest and then get to the point of writing the review and realizing I barely remember anything about the episode. While I do blame some of that on me not being the target audience, that's not all that's at play. Nancy Drew is a forgettable show. If a pilot is strong enough, it will hold my interest even if it's not for me (I liked a lot about the Riverdale pilot and remember that one more than this one that I just watched). So, I think Nancy Drew is a bad show too. It's not just not for me, it's also not good.

WILL I WATCH IT AGAIN?
No. Once was enough for me. It's not a disaster, but it's just not that good.

No comments:

Post a Comment