Tuesday, May 2, 2017

UPFRONTS 2017: What FOX Should Do

Here is my suggestion for FOX! It has been another rough year for FOX and even their prized possession, Empire, is fading quicker than they'd like. Some of their issues were self-inflicted such as benching decent performers Gotham and Lucifer for months in order to premiere 24: Legacy and APB. It didn't seem like a bad idea at Upfronts last year, but they didn't adjust to the two existing dramas holding on as well. They also are still struggling mightily with comedies. They have a lot to do because Empire is going to be less dominant again next season.

Past FOX suggestions: 2016   2015   2014   2013   2012   2011

For a list of FOX pilots, click here

MONDAYS
8:00 UNTITLED MARVEL PROJECT
9:00 Lucifer
Mondays have been all over the place for FOX but I think they still have a decent shot at launching a successful new drama in the 8pm slot and I would go with the Marvel X-Men project, which could get a lot of football promotion on Sundays and could have a shot where Gotham shined at first. I would leave Lucifer at 9pm and if the Marvel show works, it could help the young drama.

TUESDAYS
8:00 Lethal Weapon
9:00 GHOSTED
9:30 Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Lethal Weapon was a decent Wednesday night performer and I think it could make the jump to Tuesdays to allow a new show to pair with Empire while Empire still has a little juice. I would lead that into the comedy Ghosted, which seems like it could pair nicely with Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a show that cannot be an anchor anymore for FOX.

WEDNESDAYS
8:00 Empire
9:00 BEHIND ENEMY LINES
FOX has resisted so far, but I think it's time to move Empire to 8pm and give it a chance to be a lead-in before it's too late (and it's heading that way). I think Behind Enemy Lines sounds like their most promising drama, even if it could be an odd fit with Empire. I think it could still be worthy of their biggest lead-in.

THURSDAYS
8:00 Gotham
9:00 ORVILLE
I admit that I still don't think I've figured out Thursdays, but I think this could be a slightly stronger pair than the disastrous Rosewood/Pitch pairing this past season. Then again, I'm not sure this will be that much stronger. I don't know, this kind of became my dump night and FOX is likely to have at least one of those. They should use the NBC model and focus on a couple nights at a time for a rebuild but I'm not sure they have the pilots to do it this year.

FRIDAYS
8:00 Masterchef Junior
9:00 Hell's Kitchen
I think FOX needs to stay unscripted on Fridays for now and Masterchef Junior and Hell's Kitchen will certainly keep the lights on the night for them.

SATURDAYS
8:00 Sports/Encores

SUNDAYS
7:00 NFL Overrun/The OT/Bob's Burgers
8:00 LAX TO VEGAS
8:30 The Mick
9:00 The Simpsons
9:30 Family Guy
I think it's time for FOX to move its long-time animated anchors to share the 9pm hour so they can use the football lead-in on something more needy than a cartoon that has been on for nearly 30 years. I would air LAX to Vegas and The Mick in the 8pm hour, though I know the shooting schedule for Kaitlin Olsen means The Mick is probably not coming back until midseason. This is one of those nights that I definitely don't think will happen but I think should or could.

MIDSEASON: UNTITLED UNIVERSITY DRAMA, LINDA FROM HR, AMY'S BROTHER, The Last Man on Earth, New Girl, Star, The X-Files
FOX will certainly have holes in their schedule regardless of what they do so these could go a lot of places. Star could certainly bridge for Empire again. The X-Files could return to Monday if Marvel has a shorter order.

CANCELLED/ENDED: 24: Legacy, APB, The Exorcist, Kicking & Screaming, Making History, My Kitchen Rules, Pitch, Prison Break, Rosewood, Scream Queens, Shots Fired, Sleepy Hollow, Son of Zorn, You the Jury
I think some of this list will definitely get renewed - possibly 24: Legacy, The Exorcist, Prison Break, Rosewood, or Shots Fired. Not saying they should, but I think at least some of them will get renewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment