Sunday, November 1, 2015

QUICK HITS: Midseason Schedule Suggestion for CBS

I already posted my thoughts for FOX and NBC at midseason. Here are my CBS thoughts!

CBS actually has a lot on the bench and needs some creative scheduling to fit it all (wouldn't FOX love to have that problem). They've had an OK fall. Limitless and Life in Pieces have done alright and Supergirl seems like it has real potential after one week. Some of their older dramas like Criminal Minds and NCIS: Los Angeles are fading fast though and they might need a shakeup.

MONDAYS
8:00 Supergirl
9:00 Scorpion
10:00 (Jan) NCIS: Los Angeles/(Feb) Rush Hour
CBS has the Super Bowl and I think they should use it to launch Rush Hour after. Then the very next night, Rush Hour can take over the 10pm slot. Assuming Supergirl is still doing well, this would make for a trio of light-hearted, escapist dramas and that might be a good and cohesive lineup. Some suggested Limitless should move here and I could see that too but I think a Superbowl-launched Rush Hour has more potential.

TUESDAYS
8:00 NCIS
9:00 NCIS: New Orleans
10:00 (Jan) Limitless/(Mar) NCIS: Los Angeles
If Rush Hour takes over the Monday 10pm slot then they need to move NCIS: Los Angeles to a new night. My solution would be to let Limitless run through its 22 episodes almost straight through until its season ends, then replace it with NCIS: Los Angeles to try an all NCIS night for a couple months.

WEDNESDAYS
(Jan)
8:00 Person of Interest
9:00 Criminal Minds
10:00 Code Black

(late Feb)
8:00 Survivor
9:00 Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders
10:00 Criminal Minds
As always, CBS needs something to bridge the Survivor gap and they need to find a place for Person of Interest. I would run two episodes of Person a week to bridge the Survivor/Amazing Race hiatuses and get through its full 13 episodes in about 7 weeks. Then when Survivor returns, it's time to move Criminal Minds to 10pm as that show just isn't hacking it at 9pm anymore. Try the new spinoff at 9pm and hope Minds can improve on Code Black at 10pm.

THURSDAYS
8:00 The Big Bang Theory
8:30 Mike & Molly
9:00 Mom
9:30 2 Broke Girls
10:00 Elementary
I know it is moving to Thursdays and got a full season but I'm not sold on Life in Pieces so I don't think it lasts long on Thursday and instead, CBS replaces it with Mike & Molly sooner rather than later. This lineup doesn't help create new hits, but it should be successful.

FRIDAYS
8:00 (Jan) Person of Interest/(late Feb) The Amazing Race
9:00 Hawaii Five-0
10:00 Blue Bloods
As already mentioned, I would air Person of Interest on both Wednesdays and Fridays through January and the beginning of February.

SUNDAYS
(Jan)
7:00 60 Minutes
8:00 Madam Secretary
9:00 Undercover Boss
10:00 CSI: Cyber

(Mar)
7:00 60 Minutes
8:00 Angel from Hell
8:30 Life in Pieces
9:00 Madam Secretary
10:00 The Good Wife
Sundays is pretty much for everything else. I would bring Undercover Boss back to Sundays temporarily and perhaps give it a few other random areas at times during the week. Then after awards season, I'd like to see CBS try a comedy block at 8pm. I doubt it would work but I'm low on the single-cam comedies anywhere so why not here? I'd move Madam Secretary and The Good Wife an hour later, perhaps for good. I didn't have The Odd Couple scheduled but it can be filler air in the summer. CBS just has too many shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment