Friday, December 22, 2023

BENJAMONSTER NEWSLETTER: December 22, 2023

Welcome to my final newsletter of 2023. My weekly newsletters will resume on January 1, 2024. I didn't get caught up on as much as I hoped to so it's a pretty short newsletter. This week, I am looking at my Top 10 Shows of the Year, The Crown and A Murder at the End of the World.

YEAR IN REVIEW: TOP 10 SHOWS
I already counted down my Top 10 Episodes and Top 10 Performances. Now, here is my final countdown for 2023 - my Top 10 Shows of the Year! This was a tough list to make!

10. Fargo (FX)
Fargo is back in form for its fifth season. The show got back to basics and seems to be doing everything that made it a beloved show in the first place. Anchored by strong performances including Juno Temple, Jon Hamm and Jennifer Jason Leigh, I can't wait to see how the season ends.
9. What We Do in the Shadows (FX)
I was sad to hear the upcoming sixth season of this comedy will be the last. It felt like a show that could go on forever with the wild antics of the vampires. I am rarely a fan of genre shows but the humor and characters have won me over.
8. Schmigadoon (Apple TV+)
Schmigadoon followed up its underrated first season with a more self-assured second season, set in "Schmicago." Very clever and high quality parodies of 60s and 70s musicals peppered the entire season. I hope this gets a third season so it can head to the 80s and 90s!
7. Jury Duty (Freevee)
I was late to the Jury Duty train but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. What could have been such a gimmicky show turned out to have incredible heart (and of course very funny). There was nothing else quite like Jury Duty on TV this season.
6. The Last of Us (HBO)
As mentioned, I'm not often into genre shows but there were two I loved in 2023. The Last of Us worked for me because it was about so much more than zombies. It had heart, it had vision, it had stunning production values. It's quite possibly the best video game adaptation ever.
5. Abbott Elementary (ABC)
Abbott Elementary just kept rolling in its second season. There was no sophomore slump for TV's freshest comedy and the second season did a better job with developing the characters and tackling some of education's ongoing issues in a very charming way.
4. Poker Face (Peacock)
The best new show of 2023 was a show that felt very retro in almost every way. Proudly declaring itself to be the streaming version of Columbo, Natasha Lyonne traveled the country and solved crimes in Poker Face and combining an old style of TV with a modern sensibility worked beautifully.
3. The Bear (FX/Hulu)
After a frenetic under the radar first season, the second season of The Bear arrived with a bang. It was even more sure of the show it wanted to be and there were so many standout episodes that gave the ensemble (and a few high profile guest stars) a chance to really shine.
2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime Video)
Among final seasons, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel didn't get much attention because critics seemed to pass it by. But it was brilliant with perhaps the best performance yet from Rachel Brosnahan and a series finale that hit every single right note.
1. Succession (HBO)
I was always a fan of Succession, but it wasn't until the fourth and final season that I felt like I could agree with those who want to put it up there with TV's all time great dramas. It was poignant, biting, funny, sad and everything in between.

THE CROWN: FINAL STRETCH OF EPISODES
I have watched four of the final six episodes of The Crown and so far, I am enjoying this batch of episodes much more than the ones that dropped in November. The Diana stuff, despite a great performance by Elizabeth Debicki, felt like it strayed a little too far from the feel of The Crown. The second half of the season definitely feels like the show getting closer to its roots with some self-contained stories and more focus on the Royal Family. William has been a prominent player and his newest actor, Ed McVey, has done well with the workload. The William & Kate stuff, which I was really skeptical about, actually worked for me for the most part. Imelda Staunton still surprisingly feels like a background figure as the Queen. But she does a great job when given the chance. Dominic West has had some strong moments. The most recent episode I watched (episode 8) was the Margaret episode of the season and featured dynamite performances from Lesley Manville and Staunton. I'm interested to see how the show wraps up.

THE END OF "A MURDER AT THE END OF THE WORLD"
I don't have too much to say about the end of this show. I would say it was a show that fizzled out for me but I don't think it really ever gelled for me despite some good moments. This was a case where the show the creators wanted to make was way different than the one I wanted to watch. I wanted to watch a "whodunit" in the very unique Icelandic setting. The creative team wanted to make a serious commentary on the dangers of AI and climate change. That's fine. It just ultimately didn't work for me despite a standout performance from Emma Corrin and solid supporting performances from Clive Owen and Britt Marling.

See you in 2024!

No comments:

Post a Comment