Tuesday, May 18, 2021

TOP 10 TUESDAY: Top 10 Game Shows

Tuesdays are Top 10 Tuesdays where I count down a topic in the TV realm. This week is Top 10 Game Shows! This is strictly related to game shows, not reality competition shows like Survivor.

Close Calls
Password
Double Dare
What's My Line?

10. Legends of the Hidden Temple
This may be #10 on my list but it's much higher on the list of shows I would like to be on. The classic Nickelodeon game show had such an inventive set that really stole the show. And now there's a CW revival coming with adult contestants! I still have a chance!

9. Wheel of Fortune
Wheel of Fortune is not one of my favorites compared to many. But it's quite impressive how long it has been a staple like Jeopardy and it is fun (sometimes) to play along at home. It might be higher if I found Pat Sajak less annoying.

8. Hollywood Squares
In the recent game show craze, I'm surprised we haven't seen a revival of Hollywood Squares. This one all depends on the celebrities. If you have funny ones on there, it can be a hoot. If you have annoying ones, you're in for a long episode.

7. Supermarket Sweep
I'm not a big fan of the new edition because I'm not a big fan of Leslie Jones. But the original is so delightfully 90s and a step into a time machine. The whole game has some fun moments but the best part is of course the race through the grocery store at the end.

6. Family Feud
Some of the hosts have been annoying but this is probably the best chance of some really funny moments. On game show bloopers, Family Feud always provides the funniest answers. It's a fun and quick gameplay too.

5. The Hustler
The newest entry on this list, The Hustler is a really underrated show that didn't get enough attention when it premiered in my opinion. It is perhaps second only to Jeopardy in terms of being fun to play along at home and the reveal of who the hustler is makes for an actual dramatic moment.

4. The $100,000 Pyramid
I have always loved to play this game and it's one of the few shows that really requires the celebrities to be pretty smart and quick. I've found it interesting watching the newest incarnation and seeing which celebrities can hang (Rosie O'Donnell, Bobby Moynihan and Mario Cantone to name a few) and which ones can't (Rob Gronkowski, yikes).

3. Who Wants to Be A Millionaire?
I think Millionaire has a special place in my heart because I very distinctly remember the phenomenon it was at one point as does most everyone older than me and some people a little younger than me. Regis was great of course but I'm also a fan of Jimmy Kimmel in the current incarnation.

2. The Price is Right
Admittedly I haven't watched much of this show since college and the final days of Bob Barker. But it was everyone's go to show when you were home from school. I love the wide variety of games and the way the show embraces the cheesiness. Come on Down!

1. Jeopardy!
Of course this has to be #1. The gameplay is so simple and yet so effective. There's never been any bells or whistles about this show, just good old fashioned trivia. And the late, great Alex Trebek was a master at what he did. Several of the current guest hosts have done a nice job (not all of them). I hope they pick the right person to carry it forward though Alex can never be replaced.

Tomorrow: A One Season Wonder look at The Good Life!
Next Tuesday: Top 10 Late Night Shows!

No comments:

Post a Comment