Tuesday, January 12, 2021

TOP 10 TUESDAY: Top 10 Theme Songs of the 60s

Tuesdays are Top 10 Tuesdays where I count down a topic in the TV realm. This week is Top 10 Theme Songs of the 60s! To keep the criteria consistent as I go through the decades over the next couple weeks, it had to be any show that premiered in that timeframe even if it ran well into another decade. Also, the song had to have been written for the show (this is more of an issue in later decades). 

Close Calls
That Girl
F Troop
The Patty Duke Show

10. Batman (1966-1968)
This song, with all its "pows" and "bams" is just so perfect for the show. It's become such an iconic song that I'm not sure everyone even knows that it started with this show. It's corny and spectacular and it's got a great sequence to go with the song.

9. Gilligan's Island (1964-1967)
This one has to be on the list just because of how iconic it is. The ultimate "premise" theme song, it's a catchy little tune that famously decided to say "and the rest" for just two characters in its first season. "The Professor and Mary Ann" fit much better and it's a song everyone still knows and remembers, maybe even more than the show itself.

8. Mission: Impossible (1966-1973)
This song has gained popularity thanks to the very durable film franchise. But it was always a great one with a pulsating sound that was necessary for a show called Mission: Impossible. I have never watched an episode of the show but the theme music gets me excited nonetheless. 

7. Get Smart (1965-1970)
I've always loved this jazzy theme which has some of the excitement of a show like Mission: Impossible, but has a different kind of pizazz fitting for a show that is a parody of shows like that. I'm considering the music more than the title sequence but this one does have a great one with the many spy contraptions we see.

6. The Andy Griffith Show (1960-1968)
A gentle, down home theme song for a gentle, down home show. The sheer simplicity of this song was its beauty. It's perfect that they didn't add any words and barely added any music. It works exactly as it is.

5. The Munsters (1964-1966)
I've never loved The Munsters but I've always loved its theme. It's very fun and could work as a big band/jazz piece by itself. I know The Addams Family has a more iconic theme song, but I've always felt this one is far superior.

4. I Dream of Jeannie (1965-1970)
This show charted so high not because of its most famous version of the theme song, which ran during the four color seasons. That song is great but the even better one in my opinion is the first season theme. The song is more romantic and more nostalgic and I've always likekd it more even though I like the color episodes better.

3. The Dick Van Dyke Show (1961-1966)
Another great jazzy score (so many of the best 60s theme songs were jazz influenced). This show had a more sophisticated theme than many of its contemporaries which is fitting since the show was much more contemporary. Whether Rob Petrie is tripping over the ottoman or sidestepping it, the song is always a delight.

2. Hawaii Five-0 (1968-1980)
This is another show I have never watched (though I have seen some of the reboot). But the theme song is very iconic and with good reason. It has a thrill ride feel to it and has become a staple for marching bands. Mixed with the surfing images, it gets your heart racing and gets you excited.

1. Bewitched (1964-1972)
I'm sure some of this is nostalgia from my Nick at Nite days as a kid, but there's something so whimsical and magical about this theme song. It has a delightful cartoon credit sequence and the song is charming without being goofy or silly. If you read my Bewitched episode guides, you know how strongly I feel that this show is in a category separate from the other fantasy sitcoms of the decade. The theme song is too.

Tomorrow: A One Season Wonder look at 1960 flop My Sister Eileen!
Next Tuesday: Top 10 Theme Songs of the 70s!

No comments:

Post a Comment