Saturday, November 3, 2018

QUICK HITS: Midseason Schedule Suggestion for CBS

Here is my CBS midseason schedule suggestion!

CBS seemed off to a rough start, but they have stabilized quicker than other networks and have reliable newbies in FBI and (surprisingly) The Neighborhood even while their bigger bets like Magnum P.I. and Murphy Brown haven't done as well.

MONDAYS
8:00 The Neighborhood
8:30 (Jan) Fam/(Apr) Man with a Plan
9:00 Magnum P.I.
10:00 Bull
Happy Together is doing OK, but they have three comedies on the bench. With The Neighborhood being a decent performer, I would use it to launch a new show at a highly viewed time of year so I would slot Fam behind it in January and then let Man with a Plan do mop-up at the end of the season. Magnum P.I. has a full season so I guess I would leave it here unless things get dire then I would switch it with Bull.

TUESDAYS
8:00 NCIS
9:00 FBI
10:00 NCIS: New Orleans
I would leave Tuesdays alone. They have been solid for CBS and FBI is doing decently, especially in total viewers.

WEDNESDAYS
(Jan)
8:00 The Amazing Race
9:00 SEAL Team
10:00 Criminal Minds

(late Feb)
8:00 Survivor
9:00 The Code
10:00 SEAL Team
Criminal Minds has a shorter order and with good reason because it is doing terrible. I think it's time to call it a day for the long running drama and let it sign off this winter. I would have The Amazing Race sub for Survivor again after last year's decent midseason run. When Survivor comes back, I would slide SEAL Team to 10pm and launch The Code at 9pm.

THURSDAYS
8:00 The Big Bang Theory
8:30 Young Sheldon
9:00 Mom
9:30 (Jan) Murphy Brown/(Feb) Life in Pieces
10:00 (Jan) S.W.A.T./(Feb) NCIS: Los Angeles
I would mostly leave Thursdays alone except I don't think they should extend the Murphy Brown episode order because Life in Pieces would probably do the same or better. I would put S.W.A.T. on hiatus and move NCIS: Los Angeles to this night to stabilize 10pm and because I have a different plan for Sunday (see below).

FRIDAYS
8:00 (Jan) MacGyver/(Apr) God Friended Me
9:00 Hawaii Five-0
10:00 Blue Bloods
Since I have a different plan for Sundays, I would move God Friended Me to Fridays after MacGyver ends its season in April as it has the past couple years. Let's find out if God Friended Me is anything more than a timeslot success now. I would leave Hawaii Five-0 and Blue Bloods alone.

SUNDAYS

(Jan)
7:00 60 Minutes
8:00 God Friended Me
9:00 NCIS: Los Angeles
10:00 Madam Secretary

(Feb)
7:00 60 Minutes
8:00 The World's Best
9:00 The Red Line
10:00 Madam Secretary
I think Sundays are the night to make a swing. With The World's Best getting the post-Super Bowl slot, CBS should do what they did with Undercover Boss in 2010 and give it a prime Sunday slot. They could use it to launch The Red Line as well. It's a chance to really make a dent on Sundays in the spring knowing they have the Super Bowl as a launching tool.

TWO WEEK RUN: Big Brother Celebrity Edition

SUMMER: Elementary, Instinct

CANCEL: Happy Together

No comments:

Post a Comment