Saturday, September 30, 2017

PILOT REVIEW: Marvel's Inhumans

MARVEL'S INHUMANS











Starring: Anson Mount, Serinda Swan, Ken Leung, Eme Ikwuakor, Isabelle Cornish, Ellen Woglom, and Iwan Rheon

Based on the Marvel Comics by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby
Created for Television by Scott Buck
Written by Scott Buck, Directed by Roel Reine

THE PREMISE
Marvel's Inhumans is the newest Marvel show and based on the Inhuman Royal Family of Atillan. The Inhumans fear the real humans finding their hidden location and the first episode deals with a coup and the relocation of the Inhumans to Hawaii. Black Bolt (Anson Mount) is the King of Atillan and married to Medusa (Serinda Swan). Black Bolt's brother Maximus (Iwan Rheon) has lost his Inhuman gene and is the black sheep of the family. Rounding out the main cast are Black Bolt's cousin and adviser, Karnak (Ken Leung), another cousin and leader of the Royal Guard, Gorgon (Eme Ikwuakor), and Medusa's sister Crystal (Isabelle Cornish).

THE REVIEW
Although I'm aware of how new shows are being reviewed, I try to go in with an open mind. I find that more often than not, I agree with the consensus of reviewers but there have been notable exceptions on both ends of the spectrum.I have to admit I was pretty much dreading this pilot because I don't like even the best Marvel shows and this is, by most accounts, the worst Marvel show so far. And it was quite a slog to get through.

I only watched the first hour of the two hour premiere since it was technically two episodes. And I don't think I could have gotten through a second episode. It wasn't the worst thing I've ever seen but it was just dumb. There was bad acting, poor special effects, and an overly dramatic way of storytelling. Yet it also felt like nothing really happened. I felt like half the episode was Maximus trying to convince the Inhumans they needed to go to Earth.

On top of that, the music was melodramatic through the show and there was a humorous number of slow motion moments for extra dramatic effect. Subtlety and wittiness were nowhere to be found in this pilot. The performances by the actors were just nothing. I think they were dealt a weak hand and they couldn't find anyway to elevate the material. I'm not a Marvel fan but I know they're generally known for quality work. It's a little surprising that they would be behind such a weak effort all the way around.

WILL I WATCH IT AGAIN?
Nope. This would have had to be a great show to overcome by anti-superhero/sci-fi bias. And it's definitely not that.

No comments:

Post a Comment