Tuesday, September 22, 2015

PILOT REVIEW: Limitless

LIMITLESS










Starring: Jake McDorman, Jennifer Carpenter, with Hill Harper, and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

Based on the Film "Limitless"
Written by Craig Sweeny, Directed by Marc Webb

THE PREMISE
Limitless is a new drama based on the 2011 film starring Bradley Cooper. In the TV version, set after the events of the movie, Brian Finch (Jake McDorman) is a man struggling to find his way until he discovers a mysterious drug called NZT-48, which gives him recall of everything he has ever read, seen, and heard. Hot on his trail is FBI agents Rebecca Harris (Jennifer Carpenter) and Spellman Boyle (Hill Harper). Rounding out the main cast is Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as the special agent in charge of the division, Nasreen Pouran. Cooper himself will make recurring appearances in the same role he played in the movie.

THE REVIEW
I will start by saying that I have never seen the movie. What is with the remaking of non-iconic films this season, anyway? I don't know if seeing the movie would have made a difference but I felt so disconnected from this pilot. I wouldn't say it was my least favorite of the five I've seen so far, but it was definitely the one I was least interested in and I had a hard time keeping my attention on the episode. For starters, there was far too much narration. I don't have a problem with narration when it's used to good effect but it seemed to be done way too much and it accomplished very little.

I think the concept of this show is a good one but it just didn't sell me. I think part of the problem was a problem so many drama pilots like this have, it didn't find the right balance between exposition and plot for the week and it awkwardly mixed the two throughout the episode. That is a troubling sign because good writing can usually make it work. I also didn't really care for the obvious color differences between Finch on the pill vs. the cops chasing him in a normal life. It seemed gimmicky and unnecessary. Just like the narration, this was another example of the show needing to be super obvious about something instead of letting the writing allowing it to unfold naturally.

As for the actors, they were fine. Jake McDorman was solid but nothing memorable. In fact, I'm already confusing him with Stark Sands from Minority Report, another new drama based on a mostly forgettable film. The other actors were even less memorable except for, of course, Bradley Cooper. Cooper was good in his small scene in the movie, but I am actually shocked that the show has been able to rope him into a recurring role. I know we're in an era where TV and movies can be seen as equals when it comes to the acclaimed one, and I have always enjoyed TV more than movies. Yet, with Bradley Cooper being a huge movie star, this show somehow felt beneath him.

WILL I WATCH IT AGAIN?
Nope

No comments:

Post a Comment