Thursday, July 28, 2022

BENJAMONSTER AWARDS 2022: Outstanding Limited/Anthology Series

We're into the big awards. Today is Outstanding Limited/Anthology Series!

Check out past results from 2020 and 2021!

This year's nominees are...

DOPESICK (Hulu)













GASLIT (Starz)













IMPEACHMENT: AMERICAN CRIME STORY (FX)











MAID (Netflix)











THE SHRINK NEXT DOOR (Apple TV+)











THE WHITE LOTUS (HBO)















WHY WOMEN KILL (Paramount+)













And the Winner Is...
THE WHITE LOTUS
HBO
This award winner should come as no surprise if you've been reading my blog this month. The White Lotus was probably my favorite thing I watched on TV in the last year. It was such a breezy yet fascinating summer watch. I liked everything about it from the expert directing to the witty writing to the great use of music throughout the series. But the best part was the standout cast. There were very few redeeming characters on the show and I didn't want the story to end for any of them. The show explored very interesting dynamics between the haves and the have-nots and yet it was handled in a very satirical way. More than anything, I'll remember how I felt like I was on vacation at a hotel I could never afford as I watched The White Lotus yet it also made me think. I'm excited for a second season but it will be very hard for it to top the first for me. Airing in a summer still impacted by COVID, it was the perfect show at the perfect time.

Thoughts on the Rest of the Nominees:
This year's crop of limited and anthology series was not quite what it seemed like it was shaping up to be which led to a unique group of nominees. We got way oversaturated with the "tech people are frauds" genre and you'll notice only one of those show - Dopesick, which had a more important feel, got nominated. The rest was a pretty eclectic mix. Gaslit didn't make much noise but it was really well down and heart pounding. Another political show, Impeachment: American Crime Story, was piled on for a variety of reasons. It wasn't perfect but I found it pretty darn entertaining, much more entertaining than other shows I watched this season. The Shrink Next Door was a really great character drama that was well acted by Paul Rudd and Will Ferrell while the second season of Why Women Kill was another breezy and fun summer show that deserved to have more eyeballs. The White Lotus was very clearly winning this award but if it hadn't existed, this award would have gone to Maid, which was a tough watch at times but so well done.

Tomorrow: Outstanding Drama Series!

No comments:

Post a Comment