Sunday, September 20, 2015

FALL PREVIEW 2015: In Summary

I hope you have enjoyed this week's Fall Preview. Check back all week for detailed rundowns/predictions, ratings recaps, and pilot reviews!

Here are my official predictions for this year. Last year, I correctly predicted Black-ish, How to Get Away with Murder, NCIS: New Orleans, and Gotham would survive while I incorrectly believed Stalker and Marry Me would be join (to be fair, I did say I was less sure about those two!) I correctly predicted the cancellations of Cristela, Forever, Manhattan Love Story, Selfie, The McCarthys, A to Z, Bad Judge, Constantine, State of Affairs, Gracepoint, Mulaney, Red Band Society, and Utopia. I did not have enough faith in Madam Secretary, The Mysteries of Laura, and especially Scorpion. Overall, my predictions were fairly accurate.

This year, the new shows seem to be met with a collective shrug from critics and I've gotten the same vibe with trailers, not to mention scheduling. There seems to be more anticipation for returning shows than many new shows. However, I still think a fair number of them will make it. Some are because they have shorter fall runs and I think they'll do enough, if not more than enough, to get at least a limited second season (The Muppets, Best Time Ever, Scream Queens). Others are potential good old fashioned timeslot hit potential (Blindspot, Chicago Med). We'll see!

Shows I Think Will Make It to Season 2
The Muppets (ABC)
Supergirl (CBS)
Best Time Ever with Neil Patrick Harris (NBC)
Blindspot (NBC)
Chicago Med (NBC)
Grandfathered (FOX)
Minority Report (FOX)
Scream Queens (FOX)

Shows I Think Will Get Cancelled
Blood & Oil (ABC)
Dr. Ken (ABC)
Quantico (ABC)
Wicked City (ABC)
Angel from Hell (CBS)
Code Black (CBS)
Life in Pieces (CBS)
Limitless (CBS)
Heroes: Reborn (NBC)
The Player (NBC)
Truth Be Told (NBC)
The Grinder (FOX)
Rosewood (FOX)

Finally, the top five shows I'm most excited for. The five I picked last year really were the best of the fall. We'll see if I'm as accurate this year. I feel like last year there was a major divide between the good and the bad shows but it's a little more blurry this year. Less sure-fire good shows but less bombs too. It seems like there are many more shows that could go either way

Close Calls: Grandfathered, Wicked City, and Scream Queens
I'm hopeful these three will end up being something. Grandfathered looks like it could be good. Wicked City has me hopeful based on the setting but I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not a big Ryan Murphy fan but Scream Queens just might be crazy enough to be campy fun. To a lesser extent, I'm also curious about Blood & Oil and Quantico.

5) Code Black (CBS)
TV is never short on medical dramas and there are many more coming this year. They are hit and miss for me but I'm hopeful on this one because I like Marcia Gay Harden and it seems like it has a good deal of intensity that calls back the ER days.

4) Blindspot (NBC)
This seems like the new thriller of the year. I loved The Blacklist at first but then it lost me. I feel like I'll really enjoy Blindspot at first and the question is whether it will be able to keep up the momentum and excitement without getting too bogged down and complicated.

3) Supergirl (CBS)
Supergirl is one of the most hyped shows of the year and I can see why from the trailer. I know the trailer got mixed reviews but I really enjoyed it. For someone who's not big into superhero shows, this seems like it will have a nice blend of genres.

2) The Grinder (FOX)
I really like Rob Lowe and Fred Savage and I think this show has a ton of potential. I thought the trailer was very funny and it's a good set-up with limitless stories. I'm hoping it will become a sharply written and performed comedy.

1) The Muppets (ABC)
Who doesn't love The Muppets? I thought the trailer for this show was fantastic and it felt like a totally new spin on beloved characters. I hope they have a long and happy return to TV.

At midseason, I am excited for The Catch (ABC), The Family (ABC), and Game of Silence (NBC) with some hope about some others.

No comments:

Post a Comment