Thursday, February 27, 2014

PILOT REVIEW: Mixology

MIXOLOGY












Starring: Sarah Bolger, Adam Campbell, Adan Canto, Alexis Carra, Craig Frank, Ginger Gonzaga, Blake Lee, Vanessa Lengies, Andrew Santino, Kate Simses

Created by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore
Written by Jon Lucas and Scott Moore, Directed by Larry Charles

Mixology is a new high concept series that takes place over the course of one night at a swanky Manhattan bar called "Mix." Each episode will deal with a couple regulars (six women and five men) who meet each other at the bar while the season finale will take place when the night ends and the pieces fall into place. The pilot episode focused on Tom (Blake Lee), who was recently dumped by his fiance, and Maya (Ginger Gonzaga), an attorney who's as tough in life as the courtroom. The other characters were sprinkled throughout but each will have their own episode.

THE GOOD: I admit that when I read the log line last spring, I barely could understand how this show would even work. After watching the pilot, I understand a little bit more. And I guess it's kind of cool.

THE BAD: Even if the concept is good, the execution was terrible. I didn't laugh once during the pilot, which is a big problem with a sitcom. The show was all too self-aware that it was being dubbed as a high concept, edgy series but it came across lame. No one in the cast made any sort of impression on me and I felt like it dragged longer than several hour-long pilots have this season. I'm not sure if this is just not the type of crowd I run with, but I just don't think people talk that way to each other. I didn't buy a group of friends in a bar or even strangers in a bar, everything just felt scripted and stylized. That might work if it was intriguing or interesting, but it wasn't. Despite being "high concept," I just don't feel like I could get too connected to any characters after seeing them interact with at least 10 others on one night at a bar. The flashback scenes did nothing to add to the plot or characters.

BOTTOM LINE: ABC seems to be moving in the wrong direction with these post-Modern Family sitcoms, and they have had a lot of clunkers over the last several years. This one is arguably the worst one yet as there's just nothing appealing about this show. I don't understand why ABC puts shows like this on the night but won't give The Goldbergs a chance with the post-Modern Family slot.

No comments:

Post a Comment