Thursday, February 16, 2023

VERY VERY: Matchmaking

Back in the mid-1990s, Nick at Nite ran a programming block on the weekends called "Very Very Nick at Nite," which looked at four episodes with a similar theme. Now I will look at four sitcom episodes from across the decades that have a similar plot or theme. This week's topic is Very Very Matchmaking!



















This Week's Episodes

I Love Lucy #62 "Lucy is a Matchmaker" (First Aired: May 25, 1953)
Lucy and Ethel set up their friend, Sylvia, with an eligible bachelor who is a friend of Fred's but Eddie thinks Lucy wants to date him.

I've always thought this is an underrated episode of I Love Lucy. For one, it is one of the racier episodes of the show (racy for 1953 TV I mean). But more importantly, it really kicks into high gear when they get down to the hotel. The unique setting and madcap situations along with a strong guest turn by Hal March, makes the second half of the episode really strong. Even before the hotel scene, the writing sets up everything really well so we know we're in for a ride. Lucy answering the door in a negligee is a really funny moment that "goes there." It's just always been a personal favorite of mine that doesn't get mentioned with the all time greats. 

The Donna Reed Show #21 "Donna Plays Cupid" (First Aired: February 11, 1959)
Donna tries to set up a bachelor friend of the Stones with their friend, Ceil. It goes well until Ceil's old boyfriend shows up.

It's sometimes hard for me to believe that shows like The Donna Reed Show came after a show like I Love Lucy. Donna is just so tame. The show never has the uproarious nature or clever plotting of an I Love Lucy episode, it's a whole lot safer. It is not without its charms though. Donna is responsible for a couple good moments but I think the premise falls apart a little bit on a weak guest performance from Jackie Kelk. Matchmaking episodes often involve non-series regulars in promising roles and he's just not up to the task.

Car 54, Where Are You? #8 "Love Finds Muldoon" (First Aired: November 5, 1961)
Lucille tries to set up an old friend from school with Muldoon, but he wants nothing to do with it.

This episode features a prominent guest appearance from Alice Ghostley after she was already fairly well known from Broadway and the original televised performance of Cinderella, but before she became a regular TV star. I am not a big Ghostley fan. I didn't enjoy her on Bewitched or decades later on Designing Women. This performance is actually one of her better ones but I'll be honest that I just have never quite seen the appeal. I felt a little like Fred Gwynne when he was very much not wanting to participate in the date.

Bewitched #13 "Love is Blind" (First Aired: December 10, 1964)
Samantha tries to set up Darrin's friend Kermit with her friend Gertrude, but Darrin is adamantly opposed to the idea.

This is such a unique episode of Bewitched because it relies so heavily on guest stars. Only Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York appear as far as regular characters and there are times they feel like supporting characters. Luckily the guest stars - Kit Smythe and a pre-Batman Adam West - are very much up to the task. They have an instant chemistry with each other and the entire episode is a very well-told love story. As with most early Bewitched episodes, the magic is integrated in a clever and compelling way. It's a very well-plotted story.



















Best Episode: I Love Lucy
Bewitched certainly put up a fight for this, but as I said above - I think this particular episode of I Love Lucy really is underrated.

Best Fit for the Theme: Bewitched
All four were pretty close to the theme but I think the Bewitched episode focused the most on the actual art of matchmaking.

Standout Performer: Lucille Ball (I Love Lucy)
Runners-Up: Kit Smythe (Bewitched), Hal March (I Love Lucy)

Tomorrow: The Friday Five - Top 5 TV news stories of the week!
Next Thursday: Very Very High Society!

No comments:

Post a Comment