Thursday, August 9, 2012

PILOT REVIEW: Go On

GO ON










Starring: Matthew Perry, Laura Benanti, Julie White, Suzy Nakamura, Tyler James Williams, Brett Gehlman, Khary Payton, and John Cho

Created by Scott Silveri
Written by Scott Silveri, Directed by Todd Holland

Matthew Perry is back on NBC but this time in a single camera sitcom as Ryan King, a radio sportscaster who lost his wife in an accident. When his boss Steven (John Cho) tells him he must go to grief counseling if he wants to come back to work, he skeptically joins a support group led by Lauren (Laura Benanti). Rounding out the main cast is the rest of the quirky support group including Anne (Julie White), a lesbian whose partner died; Yolanda (Suzy Nakamura) a younger woman whose parents are divorcing; Owen (Tyler James Williams) who is very reluctant to talk but whose brother is in a coma; Mr. K (Brett Gehlman), an odd and mysterious member of the group who hasn't shared his grief; and Don (Khary Payton) who is moving on after a divorce and financial hardship.

THE GOOD: Much like Ryan King coming into the support group, I was very skeptical of this show going on but I was pleasantly surprised. I thought I might find a niche show along the lines of Community that doesn't have my brand of humor. Instead, I found a show with several laughs and a whole lot of heart. Matthew Perry is so much better in this show than in the failed Mr. Sunshine where he was an extremely negative character. Now, despite his character's grief, he is very likable and showed his vulnerability at the end of the episode. There were many great lines delivered by Perry in a way only he can (such as telling his replacement he was "not strong"). The supporting cast is good too, particularly Laura Benanti who seems like a good foil for Perry. The "March Sadness" bit was a funny twist to grief counseling as well. All in all, the show really got off to a good start.

THE BAD: Like any new show, there are growing pains involved and I wonder how this premise translates to a full season. I did wonder that more before I started watching because now I can see where some of these characters might be headed or how to further develop them. Brett Gehlman's character seems awfully out of place though and not funny. All of these characters are real people going through real things and he seems like an odd presence among them. I know that's the point, but it just doesn't work for me. Hopefully they give his character more to do than just be weird because that will get old fast.

BOTTOM LINE: Despite the fact that Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip fell apart and Mr. Sunshine never lived up to its potential, I still like having Matthew Perry back on TV. And this seems like it might be his best role since Chandler. The show got a great sampling last night but I'm not sure what people will think of this comedy-drama hybrid. I know that I like it though. I want to see where these characters go and the more tension between Perry and Benanti, the better. Seeing Perry as a little child-like even in his grief is something that Mr. Sunshine and Studio 60 lacked. Welcome back to NBC, Chandler. Let's hope this show goes on for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment