Wednesday, March 14, 2018

PILOT REVIEW: Rise

RISE












Starring: Josh Radnor, Marley Shelton, Auli'i Cravalho, Damon J. Gillespie, Shirley Rumierk, Joe Tippett, Ted Sutherland, Amy Forsyth, Rarmian Newton, Casey Johnson, Taylor Richardson, and Rosie Perez

Created by Jason Katims
Inspired by the Book "Drama High" by Michael Sokolove
Written by Jason Katims, Directed by Mike Cahill

THE PREMISE
Rise is a new drama from Jason Katims of Friday Night Lights and Parenthood fame. This time, the feel good drama is set at a high school where football is king in a town that is well past its prime. English teacher Lou Mazzuchelli (Josh Radnor) takes over the theater program from Tracey Wolfe (Rosie Perez) with plans to produce the controversial musical "Spring Awakening." Along the way, he deals with a one track mind football coach (Joe Tippett) who protests to his star player, Robbie Thorne (Damon J. Gillespie) being a part of the show and a reluctant wife at home, Gail (Marley Shelton) with worries that son Gordy (Casey Johnson) is an alcoholic. Rounding out the main cast are the other members of the cast or "troupe" as Lou calls them.

THE REVIEW
This is a show that was right up my alley in every way. First of all, it comes from the creator who gave me two of my all time favorite dramas. Secondly, it's about a high school musical theatre program - something very near and dear to my heart - and something that hit very close to home in scenes with difficult administration conversations or a back and forth with an angry coach. And this show has a ton to offer with strong performances (Josh Radnor is far more likable here than he often was in How I Met Your Mother) and a compelling range of storylines. It's also a topic that hasn't been tackled before on a drama, at least one that I'm aware of.

My concern with the pilot was I felt like it tried to jam way too much plot into a single episode. Friday Night Lights' iconic pilot was lauded because it felt like they dropped us right into this Texas town that was already humming along. It was so short on exposition and so rich in character and setting development. Rise seemed headed that way initially down to the drive past of the dilapidated town. But as the episode progressed, I felt like it tried to do way too much at times. For example, did the administration push-back on the show and the football dilemma and the temporary firing of Lou all have to happen within one episode? Not to mention the many subplots with Lou and his family and the students. I think Rise needed to trust itself a little bit more and let it set the mood and feel of the show (accomplished to great effect in the scenes within the auditorium) more naturally.

I worry sometimes that I'm overly critical about shows where I know a lot more about the topic (school sitcoms, this theater drama, etc) whereas I'm more forgiving when it comes to topics I'm less familiar about (no, I don't think Law & Order: SVU is really how the justice system works but I just don't really care because it entertains). I would be curious to see the reaction to a show like this from non-theatre people. What I worry about is it will feel too "insider" to others but insiders will be too critical. The show can avoid that by rich character development and not dwelling on cliche storylines that don't work. When they threw as much out as they did in the pilot, some are bound to not work. I trust Katims to steer this show in the right direction and make it all it is capable of being because the potential is high.

WILL I WATCH IT AGAIN?
Definitely with hopes it can become the show I think it can.

No comments:

Post a Comment