Tuesday, October 3, 2017

PILOT REVIEW: Kevin (Probably) Saves the World

KEVIN (PROBABLY) SAVES THE WORLD













Starring: Jason Ritter, Joanna Garcia Swisher, Kimberly Hebert Gregory, India De Beaufort, J. August Richards, Chloe East, Dustin Ybarra

Created by
Michele Fazekas and Tara Butters
Written by Michele Fazekas & Tara Butters, Directed by Paul McGuigan

THE PREMISE
Maybe the oddest entry of the fall season (and with the worst title), Kevin (Probably) Saves the World is a quasi-religious dramedy. Kevin Finn (Jason Ritter) has recently attempted suicide and as a result, has moved in with his sister, Amy (Joanna Garcia Swisher) and her daughter, Reese (Chloe East). After a meteorite hits in front of the house, Kevin has a strange encounter with a celestial being named Yvette (Kimberly Hebert Gregory) who has tasked Kevin with saving the world with her guidance.

THE REVIEW
Argh. Jason Ritter. I really like him as an actor. I thought he was very solid in the troubled but still entertaining The Event. And I loved his recurring role on Parenthood. I was very hopeful when he was in a Jason Katims pilot called County, but that never got picked up to series. So again I was hopeful here. But unfortunately, Kevin (Probably) Saves the World is just not a good show or vehicle for his talents, even though the show completely centers on Ritter.

Aside from the dumb title, Kevin is just a complete mess. I have no idea what kind of show this is trying to be but it is weirdly blending a lot of genres from family drama to supernatural show to a show that tries to balance being both comedic and very earnest and heartwarming. After Ritter, the rest of the cast is mostly forgettable. Whereas I seem to like Ritter in anything, I have also seen Joanna Garcia Swisher in a lot of shows and I'm always a little underwhelmed by her. And I hate to say it, but I liked Cristela Alonzo in the trailer for this show more than Kimberly Hebert Gregory, who replaced Alonzo after the show went to series. Gregory has a chance to be a great character here but she doesn't bring a whole lot to it.

The show was obviously trying to tug at the heart strings especially towards the end of the episode, but it left me cold. I just thought during the entire episode that this is weird. The comedic moments weren't funny and the sweet moments weren't touching. I am mildly curious to see what this show would be like on a weekly basis, because I am interested to see if it is a "save this person this week" type of show or more of an ongoing narrative. But I probably won't take the time to actually find out. And again, that title.

WILL I WATCH IT AGAIN?
Probably not. I don't actively root for shows to fail but I wouldn't be sad to see this one not last so Ritter can find a better vehicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment