Wednesday, March 1, 2017

FRESHMAN SCORECARD: March 2017

Here is the March Freshman Scorecard! Premiering in March are Chicago Justice (NBC, March 1), Time After Time (ABC, March 5), Making History (FOX, March 5), People Icons (ABC, March 7), Kicking & Screaming (FOX, March 9), Trial & Error (NBC, March 14), Shots Fired (ABC, March 22), and Imaginary Mary (ABC, March 29).

Past March scorecards: 2016   2015   2014   2013   2012   2011










A LOCK
Speechless
I still consider Speechless a lock to return and just a step above the other two freshmen likely to return. It has held extremely well out of The Goldbergs and there's no way ABC is not bringing this acclaimed show back.

NEARLY A LOCK
American Housewife, Designated Survivor
I think American Housewife is nearly as likely to return but it's just been a step below Speechless all year in terms of ratings. Designated Survivor has been away for a long time but I still see it very likely to come back unless it completely tanks or Time After Time is a success and I think the latter is a less likely option than the former.

NOT LIKELY
Big Fan
I said in January that it could come back as filler but I don't even think that will happen with Big Fan. I guess it could turn up in the summer but even that seems unlikely.

NO CHANCE
Notorious, Conviction
Just waiting for their official cancellations.






STILL A SURE THING
Kevin Can Wait, Bull
I still see these two shows as a cut above the others and locks for renewal. If CBS hands out a wave of early renewals as they often do, these two will certainly be on the list.

AN EVEN BIGGER BUBBLE
Superior Donuts, MacGyver, Man with a Plan, The Great Indoors, Hunted
It gets murky after Kevin Can Wait and Bull and it has only gotten bigger since February 1 with the decently performing Superior Donuts joining the list. Honestly, I could see all five of these getting renewed but if I had to rank them in order of most to least likely, I'd probably go MacGyver, Man with a Plan, Superior Donuts, Hunted, The Great Indoors.

NO CHANCE
Ransom, Pure Genius, Training Day
Does anyone even remember Ransom is still on? Pure Genius is already forgotten and Training Day didn't have a chance even before star Bill Paxton's untimely death this past weekend.

CANCELLED
Doubt















RENEWED
The Good Place, This is Us


A SURE THING
The Wall
The Wall is sure to join The Good Place and This is Us as freshman renewals for NBC.

STILL A CHANCE
Timeless

I still don't like this show's chances at all to return but I'm putting it slightly above the mess below. Still, NBC's space is limited and they have the promising Chicago Justice and Trial & Error yet to premiere. But I wouldn't completely count Timeless out since it recovered a bit from its low and does well in DVR.

IT'S NOT LOOKING GOOD
Powerless, Taken, The Blacklist: Redemption, Emerald City
With NBC's limited space as is and three shows already renewed or sure to be renewed, there is no room for this quartet of poor performers. Yes, I'm including Taken on that list because I'm that down on how it premiered Monday night.









RENEWED
Lethal Weapon, The Mick, Star

THE BEST CHANCE
24: Legacy
It's been hugely disappointing but I also like 24: Legacy's chances the best of all the freshmen not already renewed. I think it still stands a chance with the built in title and not completely disaster ratings (though it's not far from that given the expectations).

A PRAYER
Son of Zorn, Pitch, The Exorcist, My Kitchen Rules, APB

I still could see one, maybe two, of these getting a renewal but it's really tight at this point and all five could definitely go. If I had to rank best to worst chance, I would go: Pitch, My Kitchen Rules, Son of Zorn, The Exorcist, APB.







STILL THE BEST RENEWAL OPTION
Riverdale
While it's not doing all that great, Riverdale is certainly coming back. It has a CW renewal written all over it: a small cult following, fairly steady ratings, a show that fits the network. It will be the one freshmen renewal.

NO CHANCE
No Tomorrow, Frequency
It's going to be Riverdale, not these two.

No comments:

Post a Comment