Monday, October 17, 2016

QUICK HITS: Midseason Schedule Suggestion for FOX

As I did last year, I will be giving some midseason scheduling ideas over the next several days. Here are my thoughts on FOX, which has had a tough fall outside of Wednesdays and (sometimes) Sundays. They have a lot on the bench though. Given what they have, this is what I would do.

MONDAYS
(Jan & Apr-May)
8:00 Gotham
9:00 Lucifer

(Feb & Mar)
8:00 24: Legacy
9:00 A.P.B.
This is the FOX plan and I agree with it. 24: Legacy is getting the big post-Super Bowl slot and will make its timeslot premiere the next night, leading into the new A.P.B. I'm not totally sold on A.P.B., but 24: Legacy will certainly get some eyeballs and this gives it a chance to succeed. I would wrap the new shows with the current OK but not great pairing of Gotham and Lucifer in January and again in April.

TUESDAYS
(Jan)
8:00 Brooklyn Nine-Nine
8:30 New Girl
9:00 Scream Queens

(Feb)
8:00 Kicking & Screaming/Beat Shazam
9:00 The Mick
9:30 New Girl
FOX can let its low-rated lineup air through January to get through the Scream Queens episodes, but I would change gears the same week as Monday (and after the Super Bowl). Then I would try the unscripted Kicking & Screaming leading into new comedy The Mick and a time change for New Girl. If Kicking doesn't have enough episodes, they could air another unscripted offering, Beat Shazam at the end of the season.

WEDNESDAYS
(Jan)
8:00 Prison Break
9:00 Star

(late Mar)
8:00 Lethal Weapon
9:00 Empire
I don't know what I think about Star being the bridge for Empire and the fact that FOX only ordered 18 episodes of solid procedural Lethal Weapon, but that is what they did so I would keep Empire and Lethal Weapon together. In their place starting the first week of January, I would air the Prison Break revival leading into Star. Maybe it can surprise like Empire did in early 2015.

THURSDAYS
8:00 Masterchef Junior
9:00 (Jan) Pitch/(Mar) Shots Fired
FOX is wasting Masterchef Junior if they air it on Friday. It's time to get it back on a weekday. I would air it Thursday at 8pm and lead into a prestige hour. I would extend Pitch's order to maybe 16 episodes and make a decision at the end of the season. I would replace it with the ensemble drama Shots Fired in May. If Masterchef Junior ends early, the next installment of Hell's Kitchen could start.

FRIDAYS
8:00 Bones
9:00 Sleepy Hollow
With Bones saying goodbye, I don't think it's worth airing on a bigger night. Let it air out its run on Friday and pair it with a show it has been paired with at various times, Sleepy Hollow. This will be low but will keep the lights on on Fridays.

SUNDAYS
7:00 Animated Encores
7:30 Bob's Burgers
8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 Making History
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 (Jan) The Last Man on Earth/(Mar) Brooklyn Nine-Nine
I would end the Son of Zorn run in time to let Making History premiere to coincide with the football playoffs. If for some reason, they didn't get through Zorn, it can come back at the end of the season. I would eventually replace The Last Man on Earth with Brooklyn Nine-Nine returning to the night.

CANCEL: The Exorcist
Let it air its original run (or trim it slightly) then say goodbye.

HIATUS: Rosewood

SAVE FOR SUMMER/FILLER: American Grit, The F Word

No comments:

Post a Comment