Friday, February 13, 2015

PILOT REVIEW: The Slap

THE SLAP











Starring: Brian Cox, Melissa George, Lucas Hedges, Marin Ireland, Makenzie Leigh, Thandie Newton, Zachary Quinto, Thomas Sadoski, Peter Sarsgaard, Uma Thurman, Maria Tucci

Based on the Australian series of the same name
Developed for Television by Jon Robin Baitz
Teleplay by Jon Robin Baitz, Directed by Lisa Cholodenko

THE PREMISE: The Slap is a new limited series on NBC based on the novel and Australian series of the same name. The show centers on the specific incident of a man slapping another person's child and the way the dominoes fall and lives change based on one single incident. The large ensemble drama will seemingly focus on one person's story a week. This week was Hector (Peter Sarsgaard).

THE GOOD: This show just wasn't for me so I don't have much to say. It wasn't terrible and the performances were fine. I feel like I write really short "good" sections when I hate the show completely. I didn't hate this, it just wasn't my type of show and I can't pinpoint anything that stood out. Not interesting, but that's just how it is.

THE BAD: I think the topic raised in interesting but probably more-so for a book or movie. Even a limited series seems like it's making too much out of one incident, however serious that incident might be. I thought the narration was particularly weird. It seemed too lighthearted and more for an ABC dramedy than a show like this. I also feel like this is way too sprawling an ensemble for the show and I'm very uninterested in all the characters. It's like they had this "slap" incident just to tie an otherwise boring story together. I was completely bored by what was happening and the painfully long lead-up to the "slap." Also, terrible title for a show.

BOTTOM LINE: I truly don't understand why anyone would like a show like this yet it's getting mixed reviews so some people are. I just don't see the appeal at all. I don't think it's daring in structure or topic, even though it tries to be. I also just find it boring, but that's just me. I won't be back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment