Tuesday, October 14, 2014

PILOT REVIEW: Marry Me

MARRY ME












Starring: Casey Wilson, Ken Marino, John Gemberling, Sarah Wright Olsen, Tymberleee Hill, and Tim Meadows

Created by David Caspe
Written by David Caspe, Directed by Seth Gordon

THE PREMISE: Marry Me is a new romantic sitcom centered on Annie and Jake (Casey Wilson and Ken Marino). The two have been dating for six years and Annie is fed up with Jake not proposing, except that he does try to only to get thwarted multiple times in the pilot. They each have their best friends: Jake has divorced weirdo Gil (John Gemberling) while Annie has proudly single Dennah (Sarah Wright Olsen). Rounding out the main cast is Annie's neighbor, Kay (Tymberlee Hill) and one of her two gay dads, Kevin (Tim Meadows).

THE GOOD: There were glimpses here of a potentially funny show. Once it got past the screechy opening, the ensemble settled into a groove. There's a natural chemistry between Ken Marino and Casey Wilson, which is super important, but there's also chemistry with the friends (Marino with John Gemberling and Wilson with Sarah Wright Olsen). The funniest line in the whole episode was between Marino and Gemberling: "you were winded from that monologue" (you have to see the context). The ending scene outside of the apartment was pretty funny too, and showed the promise of this ensemble.

THE BAD: I don't know why, but I just don't find Casey Wilson funny. I didn't enjoy her on Saturday Night Live or Happy Endings and I don't enjoy her here. I just think she has a tendency to overact a little, and she always comes off slightly more annoying than the manic role she's usually trying to play. Not liking her is going to be a major stumbling block for me with this show, which otherwise has some potential. Maybe she'll grow on me like Zooey Deschanel did in New Girl. Aside from Wilson, there were a few pop culture references that didn't come off well. A Paula Deen joke already felt cheap and dated. And that opening scene? I didn't find it that funny, plus it's been done on Friends before (and maybe other shows).

BOTTOM LINE: I think I'm going to give Marry Me another try only because the ensemble seemed to already be gelling a little bit, and I'd like to see what happens. I'm going to have to tolerate Casey Wilson for now and hope she grows on me if I stick with the show. If she doesn't, I may have a quick divorce with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment