Thursday, February 7, 2013

QUICK HITS: Thursday, February 7

Midseason means... some shows are phased out of my weekly lineup and other shows join. I am completely hooked on The Following and I am sticking with Smash for now as well as the surprising 1600 Penn (see below). Getting the boot so far is Vegas, which I have finally given up on. FOX was also able to make a bubble decision for me by cancelling Ben and Kate.

I'm surprised that I enjoy... 1600 Penn. I gave a lukewarm review to the pilot but I have stuck with this show and I enjoy it  much more now. I found Josh Gad extremely annoying in the pilot but he has become much more endearing. The characters are finding themselves and it's funnier than you might think. I'm not completely attached though and its ratings show that I shouldn't be.

But the best new show at midseason is... The Following. This show has not disappointed. It is a truly thrilling show on broadcast TV and it has an excellent story to tell. I hope the intensity and quality keeps up.

My Top 5 Comedies and Dramas so far for THIS season only (ignoring past seasons)...
Comedies:
1. New Girl
2. Parks and Recreation
3. The Middle
4. Modern Family
5. Go On

Dramas
1. Scandal
2. Person of Interest
3. The Following
4. Chicago Fire
5. Criminal Minds

Looking ahead to next year... Pilots are all over the news as most have been picked up at this point (see a complete list here) and the casting process is underway. It is incredibly early and so much still needs to be settled but here are the 10 most promising I see right now:

1) How the Hell Am I Normal? (ABC, single cam comedy) - A family comedy set in the 1980s is a unique idea and there are some good people involved. It might be a nice companion with The Middle.

2) About a Boy (NBC, single cam comedy) - After Friday Night Lights and Parenthood, I get excited every time I see Jason Katims' name attached to something. This is no different.

3) Gothica (ABC, drama) - Sounds like a darker version of Once Upon a Time, which might be a very interesting show.

4) Crazy Ones (CBS, single cam comedy) - Robin Williams coming back to a series for the first time since Mork & Mindy is certainly intriguing. If they can keep him under control and not completely insane on camera, it could be really fun.

5) Boomerang (FOX, drama) - It's a drama about a family of assassins which sounds like a very thrilling concept with a lot of action.

6) Brenda Forever (NBC, single cam comedy) - I like the premise of this show before any casting happened. Now with Elle Kemper attached, I'm even more hopeful.

7) The Surgeon General (CBS, drama) - There isn't much to this yet but I like the premise and a dynamic casting in the lead role could make this a winner.

8) Untitled Michael J. Fox Comedy (NBC, single cam comedy) - Already ordered to series and I can see why. Who doesn't love Michael J. Fox?

9) Untitled Dan Goor/Mike Schur Comedy (FOX, comedy) - I've never been a fan of police comedies but I really like Andy Samberg and I think this could be really good if the writing is good.

10) Murder in Manhattan (ABC, dramedy) - It seems like it's been a long time since there's been a lighthearted crime show on TV (like Monk) and this might be that show.

No comments:

Post a Comment