Friday, January 4, 2013

QUICK HITS: Friday, January 4

This Quick Hits is a Midseason Preview of sorts! Also, Good Week/Bad Week will return next weekend when there's more of a full week to analyze!

-- Snap Judgments of the New Series Based Solely on Trailers and Buzz (ordered by premiere date)
Deception (Jan 7, NBC) - I'm not sure I can get past the Revenge similarities but I might be pleasantly surprised if it resembles Season 1 of that show
The Following (Jan 21, FOX) - I'm so excited for this show, I hope it lives up to the expectations and buzz that started at upfronts
The Taste (Jan 22, ABC) - Yawn. I only watch reality shows for the sake of this blog's pilot reviews. I'm sure I won't be watching more.
Do No Harm (Jan 31, NBC) - I thought this looked really bad during Upfronts but the commercials have been slightly more promising. Still, I'm far from sold.
The Job (Feb 8, CBS) - See The Taste
Zero Hour (Feb 14, ABC) - I actually think this looks really interesting but even if I love it, I'm not getting attached since it's in ABC's death slot.
Golden Boy (Feb 26, CBS) - I truly don't have much of an opinion on this one yet. I guess I'm slightly optimistic about it.
Red Widow (Mar 3, ABC) - Maybe it'll make more sense when I see a full pilot but I don't get this show at all based on the trailer. I don't get the premise or appeal.
Celebrity Diving (Mar 19, ABC) - See The Taste and The Job
How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life) (Apr 3, ABC) - I like a lot of the people in it and it's hard to judge a comedy from a trailer. I'm hopeful/
The Family Tools (May 1, ABC) - I'm less hopeful on this one. It doesn't look like my kind of show.

-- My Opinions on the Midseason Shows With the Best Chance for a Season 2... Deception, The Following, How to Live with Your Parents (for the Rest of Your Life), The Job

-- Could we get an air date for... Hannibal? I'm more excited for that show than anything besides maybe The Following. I'd like to see it sooner rather than later. In the mean time, I'll have to get my spooky fix from The Following and A&E's new Bates Motel.

-- Don't Mess with Me Again... Smash. The second season looks like it has cleaned up a lot of its problems from Season 1. In my opinion, the Season 2 trailer looks absolutely amazing. However, the Season 1 trailer did too and then things got all wacky after a brilliant pilot. I would love to see this show find its way and I'm hopeful it will.

-- A Non Midseason Thought but, I Really Wish Networks Would... consider airing limited series without the possibility of extending them. Think about what a show like Revenge would have looked like if the "Fire and Ice" Ball episode from last year was a SERIES finale? I think it would have blown our minds. Honestly, even think of a show like Twin Peaks from 20 years ago. It would really open up the possibilities for story crafting and story arcs. I'm not saying every show needs to do that by any means, it would be nice to have a few a year. But the problem is they'd probably be successful and the network would want more.

No comments:

Post a Comment