Monday, December 3, 2012

QUICK HITS: Sunday, December 2

Check out my Quick Hits from October 8 and October 28

-- The best Thanksgiving episode of the year belonged to... New Girl. After a couple off episodes, New Girl got back in its groove with a hilarious Thanksgiving episode that featured great guest turns from Jamie Lee Curtis and Rob Reiner as Jess' divorced parents. Seeing Jess try to "parent trap" her parents throughout the episode was hilarious.

-- Is there any show more engrossing than... Scandal? I know I wrote about it last time I did Quick Hits but this show is seriously getting better and better with each episode. Each episode gets more twisty and yet it never seems outside of the realm of possibility. The performances from everyone on the show have been so strong this season. And that cliffhanger this past week... best one I've seen in awhile on any show.

-- The new shows that are winning me over the most are... Go On and Chicago Fire. Go On has become more and more endearing to me each week. I think the ensemble is really strong in this show and they're really starting to gel together. The show has an inherent sweetness too that you wouldn't necessarily expect. Chicago Fire has been a big surprise to me. I thought the pilot was ok but I had no idea how they could keep fires interesting but they kept it interesting with the dirty cop storyline. Now that it is (seemingly) wrapped up, I'll be curious to see where they send the recurring story lines.

-- I hate to say it but... Nashville has been disappointing. I loved the pilot and I so badly want to love the show but it just isn't firing on all cylinders. They don't seem to know what to do with the fantastic talents of Connie Britton and there's too many boring storylines - the political one is not interesting at all and the others (love triangle, Juliet's bad girl rehab, etc) have been stuck in neutral for several weeks. There's so many good people involved, why isn't it working? It reminds me a bit of... dare I say it... Smash last year.

-- Brief Thoughts on the Midseason Scripted Shows with Announced Premiere Dates:
1600 Penn (Dec 17) - looks pretty bad but it does have some good people
Deception (Jan 7) - could be good but how can it be as good as Revenge when it's a clear knock off?
The Following (Jan 21) - I hope this lives up to expectations. We need a good creepy show.
Do No Harm (Jan 31) - the promos don't make it look the least bit interesting

No comments:

Post a Comment