Monday, September 10, 2012

PILOT REVIEW: The New Normal

THE NEW NORMAL












Starring: Justin Bartha, Andrew Rannells, Georgia King, Bebe Wood, Nene Leakes, and Ellen Barkin

Created by Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler
Written by Ryan Murphy and Ali Adler, Directed by Ryan Murphy

The New Normal is a new sitcom from Ryan Murphy (Glee, American Horror Story, Nip/Tuck) that focuses on gay couple David and Bryan (Justin Bartha and Andrew Rannells). They are successful and committed and want a baby but need to find a surrogate. They find one in free-spirited but down on her luck Goldie (Georgia King) who has a precocious daughter (Bebe Wood) and a "bigoted" grandmother (Ellen Barkin). Rounding out the cast is the sassy Rocky (Nene Leakes).

THE GOOD: There are some high points in The New Normal and it mostly involves Ellen Barkin who is a hoot as the grandmother that can't accept the lifestyle her granddaughter is about to engage it. Yet, she tries to act like a modern woman (she was the first of her friends to eat at the Chipotle). It's not surprising that a veteran actress like Barkin can steal the show her and she was a great casting choice. The entire cast is likable and believable which is surprising given Murphy's stylized storytelling. A potential standout besides Barkin could be Nene Leakes who had great delivery even if she's fulfilling the standard sitcom "sassy black lady" role.

THE BAD: My problems with Ryan Murphy surfaced again in this show and it's why I haven't liked anything he's done yet - too "cute," too preachy, too quirky. Several have hailed this show for its progressive premise (and of course boycotting has been involved too). Yet, shows like this try too hard. You don't see Modern Family being such a lightning rod for controversy despite a prominent gay couple because it's all about the stories and characters, not the topical issues. I think this show could be that way too but with Ryan Murphy, I feel like it will get too wrapped up in itself. He can be a lot like Aaron Sorkin in that way.

BOTTOM LINE: The New Normal will certainly have its liberal fans and the performances are strong enough to make the characters likable. It might even be accessible enough for NBC to have a broader audience. But it's not for me. I'm tempted to come back because I like the characters but I also feel like I know where this show is going and it's not a place I want to be. Still, it exceeded my expectations and I have a feeling my more liberal friends might really enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment