Friday, September 28, 2012

PILOT REVIEW: The Mindy Project

THE MINDY PROJECT













Starring: Mindy Kaling, Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Anna Camp, Zoe Jarman, Amanda Setton, Stephen Tobolowsky

Created by Mindy Kaling
Written by Mindy Kaling, Directed by Charles McDougall

The Mindy Project is a new show from successful author and TV writer Mindy Kaling (The Office). In the show which is somewhat of a vanity project, she stars as resident OB/GYN Mindy Lahiri, a girl whose not real put together but wishes her life was like a romantic comedy. The remainder of the cast - Chris Messina, Ed Weeks, Zoe Jarman, Amanda Setton, and Stephen Tobolowsky play co-workers and, in some cases, possible love interests. Also in the cast is Anna Camp as Mindy's sister Gwen Grandy.

THE GOOD: This show didn't have it all put together, which I will talk about soon, but it did have some really good moments. There were a lot of good subtle one-liners and also some funny commentary on society. They didn't seem to be the punchlines to jokes but used in conversation and that's what made me smile the most. The opening was somewhat funny too and a good introduction to Mindy Kaling if audiences don't know her. I was only mixed on her on The Office but I really think she can be a star. If this "project" can figure itself out, this show might be it but if not, I do think she can sell to mainstream audiences. She just needs to find her voice. The supporting cast is solid but unremarkable.

THE BAD: The show just seemed to be all over the place. It wanted to do too much for a pilot and the presence of Ed Helms and Bill Hader, while excellent and funny actors, took away from the regulars that we needed to get to know. The show was also overloaded with pop culture references. I know this is how Mindy Kaling is and some people will really appreciate it, but it just felt like too many for no good reason. Pop culture references are often cheap jokes when they're used and then they don't hold up well. I really don't feel like I got to know any main character besides Mindy in this episode and that's a problem.

BOTTOM LINE: I had a real tough time with this one. There were parts I liked but the whole show just felt a little off and definitely felt like too much. But, as I said with Ben and Kate, I look for potential with comedies because I know they take awhile to find their groove. And I do see a lot of potential with Mindy but the show needs to decide what it wants to be - workplace sitcom? romantic comedy? It can't just be on the whims of Mindy Kaling. It needs focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment