Sunday, September 30, 2012

PILOT REVIEW: Made in Jersey

MADE IN JERSEY










Starring: Janet Montgomery, Pablo Schreiber, Stephanie March, Toni Trucks, Erin Cummings, and Kyle MacLachlan

Created by Dana Calvo
Written by Dana Calvo, Directed by Mark Waters

Made in Jersey is a new legal drama from CBS that is basically a by-the-book procedural. At the center of the show is Martina Garretti (Janet Montgomery), a young lawyer who was born and raised in New Jersey but has joined a Manhattan law firm led by Donovan Stark (Kyle MacLachlan). Rounding out the main cast are co-workers at the law firm and her boisterous New Jersey family including her mother Darlene (Donna Murphy).

THE GOOD: I must say this is the first show that actually surprised me in that I liked it much more than I thought I would. There is nothing original about it at all but that doesn't mean it's not an enjoyable hour of TV. Though it's a procedural that was dealing with a murder in the pilot, the show had a sort of light whimsy to it. I thought Janet Montgomery might be brassy and annoying but she actually really elevated so-so writing. She was someone I wanted to root for and she struck the right tone between confidence and inexperience. Kyle MacLachlan was solid too as the partner in the law firm. In contrast to the dark version of New York presented in Person of Interest or the moody version presented in Blue Bloods, this show made NYC seem like an exciting and fun place especially for a young professional.

THE BAD: As I said already, there was nothing original about it. While I really did enjoy it, I can't see it becoming appointment viewing if it lasts on Friday nights. It's one of those shows that can easily be cut out of a schedule and it wouldn't be missed but it might be nice to watch when there's nothing else on. That doesn't bode well for a show because there's no major hook, just comfort viewing. It's like a rerun of a Law & Order episode in that way. Also, the New Jersey scenes were less intriguing than the New York scenes so I would play that down.

BOTTOM LINE: I have to say, this was the biggest surprise of the season so far for me. I went in expecting to hate it because I've generally agreed with critics so far this year. But not this time. I found Made in Jersey to be a fun hour of TV - nothing special, nothing groundbreaking but fun. Janet Montgomery is a big reason why. It's too bad the ratings were so low because I see some promise here.

No comments:

Post a Comment